Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2013, 01:12 AM   #1 
Distiya

Please Help! May have harmed fish :(

Hello there.

I'm very new to the forum and need some help. I got a Betta Fish (Neptune) about two months ago. I've had Betta's before in bowls that have lived for years, so I was confident having him in a 2 gallon bowl and everything was going very swell. Today, while changing the water, I broke the glass bowl. Luckily he was out of it, but I needed to replace him in something before I went to work.

I rushed out to the store and the only thing available was a new starter, 3 gallon tank. I thought it'd be cool to upgrade anyway, so I got it and set it up. However, I'm a total novice when it comes to filtered tanks. I didn't let the filter go for a 24 hour cycle because I was in a rush to get to work, and so I put him in the tank (I'm still at work now). It wasn't until I was online that I found out this mistake.

Do I take Neptune out and put him in something different the moment I get home? Is it okay to leave him even though it hasn't cycled? I don't want to kill or harm my fish at all. He's been a good buddy to me and I'd hate to do something to him due to my ignorance :( Any quick help greatly appreciated!
Distiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:27 AM   #2 
Stone

you can get some tetra safe start or one of the many products to speed up the cycling process, or do bunches of water changes 50% or so every other day
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:32 AM   #3 
Distiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
you can get some tetra safe start or one of the many products to speed up the cycling process, or do bunches of water changes 50% or so every other day
Should I still keep the fish in while I do this? Unfortunately I'll have to wait for about 9 to 10 hours until the pet store opens up, so I'm hoping he'll make it through the night.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:34 AM   #4 
Mitra

As long as you put water conditioner in the new water you put him in he will be fine. Tank doesn't need to be cycled for a betta to live in it, they are very hardy and can live in the tank until it is established (make sure you do appropriate partial water changes)
Mitra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #5 
Distiya

An update: Neptune made it through the night. He even made a bubble nest which surprised me. I went out and got the Safe Start as Stone recommended and he seems to be doing alright. I'll keep up the water changes like always. Thanks guys :)
Old 09-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #6 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Deep breath, Distiya. You've done nothing wrong so far. If you're running a filter, that means your tank is going to cycle. The Safestart is to help it do just that. It helps to know what your water conditions are. An API freshwater test kit is important for cycling a smaller tank like your 3g. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378818817&sr=8-1&keywords=API+freshwater]Amazon.com: API Freshwater Master Test Kit: Pet Supplies[/ame]
If that's beyond your means, get the "Ammonia test" bottles from your petstore.

Use Seachem Prime or Amquel+ as your water conditioner. They detoxify ammonia as well as treating chlorine.

In a small tank, having live plants will help guard against rapid ammonia buildup and enhance safety.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #7 
jaysee
Reference Team

The only difference between starting a filtered tank and an unfiltered tank is that with a filtered tank you can eventually stop doing water changes several times a week, whereas in an unfiltered tank you have to do constant water changes indefinitely. In my opinion it's a difference of being a slave to you fish or not. Personally, I like my fish to not have to depend on me to survive day to day, so every tank is filtered. I like knowing that my fish won't die if skip a water change or two. Some people like to be that "involved" though - they like knowing that the fish is depended on them to live from day to day, and that's fine - it's a hobby and we all enjoy different things about it.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help fish tank cycle