Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #11 
JustinieBeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
They will inject femal DGs with male hormones so they look more like males and sell better.
That's awful. And I don't suppose there's any way unsuspecting customers would even be able to tell the difference between natural born males, natural born females, and the hormone injected females?
JustinieBeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #12 
OrangeAugust

All this talk about fish injections makes me not want to have fish. I don't want to support breeders who are basically torturing fish just so they can make them look better.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #13 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
They will inject femal DGs with male hormones so they look more like males and sell better.
Do you have anything that you can share with us to support this?
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #14 
jaysee
Reference Team

After a quick search, the only legitimate information I could find on injecting dwarf gouramis had to deal with increasing fertility. Such a practice would likely be detrimental to the overall health of the species, and I can see how the fact that females can be injected with fertility hormones to produce more males could become "injected with hormones to look like males". We've all played whisper down the lane...
Old 09-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #15 
finnfinnfriend

Don't see why it makes a difference...It is still cruel and this is getting way off topic so I am going to stop here with this.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #16 
jaysee
Reference Team

It only makes a difference if one cares about the validity of the information they propagate. Not trying to start a fight or anything, but this is like the 3rd or 4th time I've seen you make that claim and was just curious if there was anything of substance backing it or of its just hear-say. Is it cruel to get hormone injections to increase fertility? Lots of people do it, so that I do not know. Is it cruel to overbreed? I'm sure it's physically taxing, and I agree that overbreeding hurts the species on the whole. Are DGs the only species that are injected to increase fertility? Probably not.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #17 
Chesh

Interesting debate, but back on topic, guys!

August,
It is possible that they became a snack. :(

I've seen a (male) Betta eat a JellyBean Tetra (similar size to a Neon). The poor Tetra wasn't fully grown yet, but close - and definitely much too big to fit in the Betta's mouth. I don't think this issue is very common, because I've read many accounts of people keeping Neons with Beta with no problems, but my Betta was pretty aggressive, and also a snail hunter! (the tetra were put in the tank by a well-meaning, if clueless, husband who was trying to help *cries*)

Hopefully it wasn't the Betta who took your poor little Neons, but I just wanted to chime in that yes! From experience - it IS a possibility! Hoping you have no further problems with the little guys. . .
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettas eating neon tetras, female bettas, neon tetras