Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2014, 03:22 PM   #1 
BettaMummy87

Breeding Preparation [Warning: Picture Heavy]

I picked up my 'new' tank today! This is the tank I will be adapting to make into my breeding tank and for the first stage of growing out. It was a real bargain, but doesn't half need a clean!

I am not entirely sure how long this tank went without a clean from even an alage pad to get this scaly! D:

And from the inside:

It came with a filter (TetraTec Easy Crystal Filter Box 300).

And a Power Head (AquaClear PowerHead 20)

So I started by stripping the filter and powerhead, eventhough they will not be useful in the breeding stages, they should be useful later in the growouts. Powerhead not so much, but we'll see. I have an idea for a baffle for it.

[img]http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l561/Angharad_Smith/Betta%20Fish/Tank%20Regen/465c93ce-6dcb-4455-bcb1-9fcd6b6899f3.jpg[img]

And started on the tank itself. Intial cleaning is halfway done. Then a proper 'disinfect' with vinegar solution and a final scraping for the tank.

Hopefully by then the stuff for a divider will be here.

The plan is to segregate one third of the tank, for housing the female during the introduction phase, andto seperate the male into for a little while to 'ease' the seperation from the fry. Hoping it will work.

Sponge filter is on order (two, actually) ready to pop into two parent tanks.

Cultures are on special order. Just need to decide exactly when I am going to breed before I get them in XD
BettaMummy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:27 PM   #2 
hrutan

Looking forward to seeing how this all turns out. What are the tank measurements?
hrutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:48 PM   #3 
BettaMummy87

Its pretty large. 60L (approx. 17 Gal?) measuring 60 X 45 X 30cm. I don't know how well it will work as a breeding tank, as I believe it is common practice to spawn in one, then move the fry to a tank this size. I am just wondering whether I can't make the stress a little lower on Keiji, giving him more space and being able to seperate him where he can still see/smell his fry. If it doesnt work I will seperate him straight out as normal, but seems worth a shot. The Aquarists down here, including a betta breeder, thnk it an interesting idea. XD

The divided section will also be where I release the female, with wide gauge craft mesh, instead of the normal smaller holed divders. Keiji should be able to see her, and the pheremones should still carry though, for added nesting incentive. :P
BettaMummy87 is offline   Reply With Quote