Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2009, 05:46 PM   #1 
neenjar

Darn the fin rot...

I got home from work today and what do you know, Zeus has fin rot. He has a decent size hole in a crown point on his caudal fin, two pin holes in his dorsal fin and a hole in his right pectoral fin. Water parameters are fine.

Salt baths and quarantine.... Sorry buddy, you do not get to be in your pretty new tank for a while. Should I put the quarantine next to his home or move it away?

I can only attribute it to all the rummaging around I did in there this weekend, that or I did not clean the moss ball well enough. I am quarantining it too and sqeezing it like a sponge until no color comes out of it. It seems to have some dirt deep in it.

I picked up a fresh bottle of JFE just in case salt baths and daily water changes of the quarantine tank don't cut it. Ares is still looking good so hopefully it was just the moss ball.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:48 PM   #2 
Vikki81207

Aww I'm sorry. When I have my boys in quarantine, I keep them away from their tanks. Because I feel bad that they may miss it. Time for you to do what you always tell us to. Salt baths for a week and if it doesn't get better I'd use the JFC you picked up. Good luck with his treatment.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:06 PM   #3 
neenjar

He's already had his first salt bath, and I picked up JFE not JFC. JFE is the stronger of the two, but I got it in powder form so I can adjust the dose.

I may add a very light dose to his quarantine tank. I've been instructed by the house organizer that I am to keep the quarantine tank next to his, no where else. I suppose i'll put a sheet of paper up to keep him from seeing his home.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:22 PM   #4 
sunkissedinCA

aw good luck with your little guy!
sunkissedinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:52 AM   #5 
Vikki81207

oops sorry. JFC is what I have, lol.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:09 PM   #6 
AngelicScars

I put a little aquarium salt and JFE in Antubis quarantine. Of course, his is a little worse.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:08 PM   #7 
neenjar

I have given 3 salt baths now, will give another 2 or 3 when I get home. This morning the holes in the dorsal fin were half the size, the rest were unchanged. I will see what the deal is when I get home form work in a couple hours.

I did put a light does of JFE in the quarantine. 1/4 of what is called for. I have never had rot show up overnight on 3 fins at once before.

I think I got all the crud out of the moss ball now! I can submerge and squeeze it and the water stays clear :)
Old 07-28-2009, 02:10 PM   #8 
BakaMandy

D: Awe man, I'm sorry to hear that! Hope Zeus gets better!

It's really nasty when fin rot can come out of no where and seriously hurt your fish out of no where T_T;; regardless of how well you take care of them...
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:53 PM   #9 
neenjar

It's a mixed bag. His dorsal fin holes are half the size! pectoral fin has not gotten worse, maybe a bit better, the hole in the point on his caudal fin is a little bigger though. He may lose that point 2/3 of the way down and have to regrow the tip.

I've given him another salt bath and 1 more before I go to bed.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:14 PM   #10 
BettaSquirt

Good Luck! Hopefully Zeus will pull through.
That just happened with Gurgle. (My VT male). He was fine when i left for camping, then when the weekend was over, part of his caudal fin was shredded. I was like "UGH!" So today i got some Bettafix. Its like a miracle worker :) It helped so much with Squirts Fin rot in just one week of treatment! :D
BettaSquirt is offline   Reply With Quote