Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2009, 09:56 AM   #1 
BakaMandy

Not again!

Shota developed fin rot again ): He was fine for a week but when I checked last night he had a few tears in his dorsal fin and when I woke up, some tears in his caudal fin, which so happen to be the same places he got them last time )':

I gave him a salt bath immediately when I first saw it, did a 75% water change and investigated his new silk plants and cut off any potential sharp points.

I don't know what to do, I'm leaving in two days to go on vacation and I really don't want to leave my father in charge of taking care of my fish, especially when he thinks they're better off dead when they're sick. I don't know anyone else who's willing to take the time to properly take care of Shota either.

I want to use medicine if it'll speed up the recovery process a little, but I know how you guys always recommend using a more natural way before consulting to meds.

)': What should I do? I don't want to come back to find my fish died...
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #2 
BakaMandy

Oh my god, it's really bad this time! His tail is being completely shredded!

I had to go out and get something and I was only gone for 2 hours and now half his tail is practically gone!!

What do I do?!

Last edited by BakaMandy; 07-26-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #3 
doggyhog

Ohh, I'm SO sorry!! Mine had really bad fin rot too. I just got my brother to take care of him. He did!!! I was gone for 2 weeks.

Maybe you have a friend who can care for him?
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:11 PM   #4 
BakaMandy

I've been asking around and so far no luck ):
Old 07-26-2009, 08:04 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I was told by another forum member that fin rot is bacterial and was advised to use Maracyn1 and 2 together. He said to use it when daily water changes don't seem to be enough. I'm going to try it whenever any of mine get fin rot.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:57 PM   #6 
BakaMandy

Maracyn 1 and 2 together? Okay, :O I'll try that and go out and get some tomorrow :S

I was just reading that bacterial fin rot usually never 100% goes away T~T;;; Although it's kind of scary to see it come back twice as bad as it did before...
Old 07-27-2009, 09:49 AM   #7 
neenjar

I prefer ampicilin over the maracyn's for extreme cases, fin rot can also be fungal, there are many causes.

I usually do it in this order:

1) water changes and salt baths, if that does not work...

2) jungle fungus eliminator, if that fails

3) ampicilin.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:39 PM   #8 
BakaMandy

the ampicillin i ordered won't come in till sometime after i come back from vacation )':

his fin rot is getting better on his dorsal fin but on his caudal fin it's getting worst... He seems to be having a little trouble swimming...

I went and got Maracyn one, so I'm going to try try and use it in combination at least for the time being.

I found a friend that is willing to take care of him while I'm gone, so hopefully everything is going to be alright.

)': Uuuu I'm so worried...
Old 07-27-2009, 09:42 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad you got someone to take care of him. But, yeah, you can't help but worry when you have to leave them. I left mine in good hands for 2 weeks and I worried about them every day I was gone! lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:44 PM   #10 
dr2b

I'm leaving mine for 4 days in the wonderful hands of my mom. I know she'll take good care of my fishies, but I am so afraid that something will happen that wouldn't normally happen lol. I'm like constantly going over feeding instructions, plant food instructions, etc. I don't want to leave my baby :(
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote