Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #1 
MusicLover94

Exclamation Please Help

I was watching my betta, Squirt, swim around his tank and i noticed that his belly (the part under the gills i think is called the belly) is turning white and seems to be getting a little big. Also his Anal fin has been clamped for many weeks. I change his water every other day, but for the past couple of days hes been floating at the bottom of the tank and will stay there for a long period of time then swim for a few minutes and go back to the same spot and stay there. I feed him BettaMin flakes and he seems to eat them and I've been using bettasafe in the water. I do not have a heater yet for my tank nor a gravel vacuum but i will be getting one in the next couple of days. He is currently in a one gallon tank. Should I be worried?? Does anyone know what this could be?? PLEASE HELP

I know this isnt the best picture but it's the best i could do for the belly

His clamped fin

This is where he will float for long periods of time

MusicLover94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #2 
NorthernLights

If you post this over in the diseases forum, you are more likely to get faster responces on this. What temp is your tank? Do you have a thermometer? How old is your fish?
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #3 
MusicLover94

I bought him from walmart about 3 weeks ago. The temperature is around 76 degrees. Ok I will. Thank you
Old 09-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #4 
leejohn02

How much water do you change, what conditioner do you use, do you have a filter, what s the temperature of the tank?, do you have anything he can catch himself on?
leejohn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #5 
MusicLover94

I have a live aquarium plant that is growing right now, but i checked the leaves that have sprout and they are soft. I change 100% every other day. I do have a filter. The temperature on the thermometer right now it 74-75 degrees. The only thing in his tank is a moon rock cave thats very smooth, the live plant, and the gravel
Old 09-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #6 
leejohn02

Are you getting any dead leaves off the plants that are floating in the water, do you feed hm anything else
Old 09-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #7 
MusicLover94

There are no dead leaves. It just started sprouting. All the leaves are fresh. No i only feed him the bettamin flakes
Old 09-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #8 
leejohn02

It could be possible the flakes are the issue, I'm not an expert but one of my Betts had a similar problem, I ended up changing his food to Betta pellets and gave him the occasional treat of either shrimp or blood worm, if its the same experience I had it turned out when he was only eating flakes he became constipated, personally I wouldn't feed him for a few days, also I would try to reduce the amount you feed, because if he was anything like mine he would eat all day long,
Old 09-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #9 
MusicLover94

Well that's another thing. I started him off with the Betta Pellets from tetra care. I switched to betta min because he wouldn't eat the pellets at all. I tried soaking them in water before i gave it to him (1 pellet) but he wouldn't eat it and i would take it out when it hit the bottom. When i started giving him the flakes he didnt seem to be wanting them either but he at least nibbled on it. Is there any other food i can try? How many days should I go without feeding him? Also, I give him tiny tiny pinches of food but i will get him the blood worms as soon as i go to the store again
Old 09-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #10 
leejohn02

Wel from my experience my one survived over a week without the pellets, I would say don't feed him for 2-3 days and when you do, try to give hm some live/frozen food, also watch to see if he poops, I would Reduce the water changes, depending on tank size to once a week as you could be stressing him out, but I would advise a test kit to keep an eye, if he isn't any better after about 4-5 days post in the disease section on the site, where more experienced members will be able to help, also when you feed him the flakes push them into the water to reduce air bubbles getting trapped

Tags
clamped fin, noob help, white belly