Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2009, 10:53 PM   #1 
Blue Eternity

Fins Cramped up, will not flare. ;[ Help!

I got Mr. Big about a week ago from WalMart. He was my first Betta and I'm kind of worried about him.

His fins are all cramped up, and look stiff and clumped together. His top fin is also bent a little... I don't know how to explain it. His water is not cold, the thermometer reads around 82. Could he be too hot?

Heres a picture, sorry its so crappy but it was all I could get with my cellphone cam. He moves around a lot. Little bugger, hehe.

He also will not flare for any reason. I tried putting a mirror up to him, no luck. He also won't flare at my other new Betta that I got today (but the new Betta flares at him). Instead, he swims quickly away and hides. Could I be that I just have a very passive male?

Only thing I have changed is that I gave him a freeze-dried bloodworm sunday night. He enjoyed it a lot... nothing else has changed.

Is he sick? What should I do?

(He still swims around normally, expect for his fins being stiff. He eats just as much as normal... 2 betta pellet things in the morning and 2 at night.)
Blue Eternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:00 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

Well he's not very healthy from walmart. Within a week or so he should be good :)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:07 PM   #3 
Blue Eternity

You think so? Is there anything I could do to speed his recovery? He has a lot of space, with places to hide and I keep it very clean and warm.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:26 AM   #4 
neenjar

I would give him daily water changes adding a little aquarium salt for a while. A salt bath would not hurt either.

82 is a little warm, 76-80 is the optimal range.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:06 PM   #5 
Blue Eternity

Should I change the water 100% every day? I do 40%-50% water changes every 4 days or so. Its a three gallon tank.

I'll buy some aquarium salt today on my way home from work. Is and certain brand reccommended? How about anti-biotics or vitamins? Should I pick up any of those?

That is the temp w/o a heater even on. I'm moving my AC into my room very soon, which it will be set at 75. That should help cool him down I think if he is indeed too hot, and if it end up making the tank too cold I will turn on the heater.

Will he be okay in my room for a few more days? (two more max, I need about 3 ppl to carry the AC into my room because I'm tiny and its huuuge) I could move him downstairs if tonight if I have to.

You'll have to excuse all my questions... I just want to make sure I'm doing everything 100% right, lol.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:33 PM   #6 
neenjar

When treating for illness in a non cycled tank larger more frequent water changes are very beneficial. When doing the 100% change I would clean the tank and decoration swell with hot water too.

Any brand aquarium salt will be fine, I use API because it is readily available by me.

The temp is ok, just a little on the high side, It won't make betta soup or anything. 78-80 is ideal so I would not go to a 75 degree room. 82 is livable.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:17 PM   #7 
Blue Eternity

Alright, thank you so much for all your help :]. I really, really appreciate it! (and so do my boys).

I'll switch to doing at a 75% water changes every two days and a 100% every four until I see Mr. Big improve. And I will buy some aquarium salt today and add it tomorrow when I do another change. (I'll have to let it sit overnight and condition.)

82 is the maxium I have seen it go. I have one of the stick-on-the-side thermometers and it reads at max 80-82. Genereally its 78-80.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:38 PM   #8 
neenjar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Eternity View Post
Alright, thank you so much for all your help :]. I really, really appreciate it! (and so do my boys).

I'll switch to doing at a 75% water changes every two days and a 100% every four until I see Mr. Big improve. And I will buy some aquarium salt today and add it tomorrow when I do another change. (I'll have to let it sit overnight and condition.)

82 is the maxium I have seen it go. I have one of the stick-on-the-side thermometers and it reads at max 80-82. Genereally its 78-80.
That's fine then. I would do daily 100% until he shows signs of getting better if you can. Then 50% twice a week with a gravel vacuum should suffice. I do 25% twice a week in my cycled heavily planted 5 gallons.