Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #11 
Tikibirds

I have 2 sponge filters in my 10G but it was also divided at one time.
I won a lot with 5 of those filters in the top pic. I have 2 in the 10G, one in a 5 G and one in a 20G plus the HOB filter I have in there (got some heavy duty poopers in that tank).

Several people have told me that the china one works just fine. Since it has a suction cup, it might be a little better then the other one - space wise - since you can attatch it to the side of the tank as oppsed to having it take up floor space.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #12 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
I'm not saying you shouldn't get a sponge filter, but if you need 2 filters on a 10 gallon tank then there's a problem. Which you already know. 6 neons is far from an inappropriate stocking level.

No plants and no flow restriction huh.... I think I would verify the readings with another test kit. Speaking of readings...what are you getting?

How do you know how much you need? If you're water tests show 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites, then you have enough. More exactly, you would have more than enough.

Filtration is a combination of 2 components - volume of media and turnover rate. This concept is best illustrated by comparing HOB to canister filters. Common wisdom is that HOBs should be 8-10x turnover rate while canisters should be 5-8x. The reason for this difference is volume of media. There is an enormous difference in volume of media between an HOB with a 300 gph flow rate versus a canister with 300 gph. As you know, the more real estate there is, the more bacteria can live there. However, the flow rate of the filter acts as a regulator of sorts. The larger volume of media in a canister allows for a lower flow rate from the filter. The flow rate determines the concentration of ammonia in the water that the filter must process. A canister can handle a lower flow rate because it can house enough bacteria to take care of the higher concentration of ammonia entering the filter. An HOB on the other hand needs a high turnover rate in order to keep the concentration of ammonia low, because it can only hold a minimal amount of media. That's just a quick rundown on the relationship between volume of media and turnover rate.
That really sucks if my test kit isn't working, it seemed to make sense whenI tested my betta tank last...So you can't find anything that could be wrong? Maybe I will just add the sponge filter and see what happens...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #13 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
I have 2 sponge filters in my 10G but it was also divided at one time.
I won a lot with 5 of those filters in the top pic. I have 2 in the 10G, one in a 5 G and one in a 20G plus the HOB filter I have in there (got some heavy duty poopers in that tank).

Several people have told me that the china one works just fine. Since it has a suction cup, it might be a little better then the other one - space wise - since you can attatch it to the side of the tank as oppsed to having it take up floor space.
Okay, I will consider that. Thank you!

BTW I love your avatar!
Old 09-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #14 
Tikibirds

Quote:
BTW I love your avatar!
I want a pet cat demon that I can ride.

Is there space in the filter to stuff in some extra foam?? That would give more room for the bacteria. Having a sponge filter in there wont hurt anything but you may want to pick up one of those air flow valve things otherwise you will get a massive amount of bubbles even from a small airpump.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:06 PM   #15 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
That really sucks if my test kit isn't working, it seemed to make sense whenI tested my betta tank last...So you can't find anything that could be wrong? Maybe I will just add the sponge filter and see what happens...
Adding filtration is a good plan. How high is the ammonia reading?

hmmm, what else could it be....

I would fast the tank for several days and see how that impacts your readings.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #16 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
Adding filtration is a good plan. How high is the ammonia reading?

hmmm, what else could it be....

I would fast the tank for several days and see how that impacts your readings.
The ammoina rose from .25ppm to .5ppm while the nitrite stayed at .25ppm (I have been doesing with Prime so they don't die lol).

There is more than a possibility that they have been getting overfed...I don't actually live with my tank so my dad feeds the fish and I come over every other day or so to test the water and change it if necessary. In fact I did a water change today and there was sooo much debris in the gravel
Old 09-11-2013, 12:27 AM   #17 
jaysee
Reference Team

I think that's something to investigate than...
Old 09-11-2013, 01:12 AM   #18 
finnfinnfriend

Lol yeah....I'm just gonna add another filter no matter what now because...why not lol. But I have a Marina Slim s10 lying around so I'm gonna break a piece of my hood off and add that instead...
Old 09-11-2013, 01:13 AM   #19 
finnfinnfriend

Sorry the main point of the thread kind of got swept aside /: I realized it would be smarter to use my spare filter...
Old 09-11-2013, 01:15 AM   #20 
jaysee
Reference Team

Glass tops are wonderful - they have a plastic strip in the back that is for cutting things to fit - makes changing the configuration of the tank a breeze and does a great job at keeping jumping species in the tank.