Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #11 
Graceful

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
whoopsie, sorry I mixed up the threads; you're fine without the heater >.< my bad!

But you can totally feed him more than one pellet. Many people think that their stomach is the size of their eye, which is is but it expands much as ours does and they should look nice and plump, not skinny. So I think part of the reason he's not feeling so well is that he just doesn't have the energy to really fight or swim so hence a lazy/stressed Betta.

It depends on when you got the Hikari pellets, look at the first 3 ingredients and tell me what they are. If they have any fillers in it; i.e. Wheat, Corn or Soybean then it's not great. NLS does have ONE filler in it's first three ingredients but it makes up for it because it contains both garlic and spirulina, both great for Betta's! Garlic is a natural anti-parasitic food, it won't totally prevent internal parasites, but a Betta fed NLS as opposed to other lower quality brands has a higher chance of defending him/herself against internal parasites
So he's just sick because I'm underfeeding him? How many pellets and/or bloodworms a day, then?

Fish meal, wheat flour, soybean meal, rice bran, gluten... I just bought this stuff!
Graceful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:05 AM   #12 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah he just might be very weak right now is all, not actually sick, just weak. It's the same as if you were to eat maybe half a meal a day and then continue to walk around/run all day long; you'd be feeling pretty weak too!

For now, if you can, feed him twice a day but work your way up to it so you can do like 1 pellet in the morning and one at night for a few day's so that it doesn't completely shock him. This way with the two feedings, he's not going a full 24 hours without food which will immediately start to give him more strength and energy. Then after a few day's up it to 2 in the morning-ish time and then 2 at night and eventually you can go back to one feeding a day if you like around 6-8 pellets a day should be fine. But you feed whatever you feel he needs. Sometimes if I feel like my boy's are looking particularly skinny, I'll give them up to 10 pellets of NLS but usually 6-8 is a good number for once a day.

Again if you wanted to split that you can do 3-4 in the morning and 3-4 at night and that will be just fine! Bloodworms can be feed twice a week, you can do like pellet feeding in the morning (3-4 when he's good for it) and then 3-4 bloodworms at night or whatever he wants to eat. I believe they say "feed as much as your fish will consume in 30 seconds" so one at a time, I use tweezers to feed them and usually they can gobble down anywhere up to 5-7 bloodworms but I'd usually fast them the day after that so I tend to feed them Saturday/Sunday and my usual fasting day's are Monday and Tuesday since I can't be at that house those day's as I'm elsewhere.

At least now you know what to look for in foods, it will make buying them easier and you'll be very efficient at it ^_^ I know it's never fun finding out that the stuff you just bought isn't very good though, I've had my fair share of buying foods I thought were good only to find out they weren't. I have like 4-6 other flake/pellet/BW foods in my fish drawer right now not in use lol. It's all part of learning though, but yes it sucks.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #13 
Graceful

Thank you SO much for all your help! :)
Old 09-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #14 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You're very welcome! I hope he continues to get better tthough, so keep us updated!

Any word on the nitrates?
Old 09-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #15 
Graceful

Water change today, I'll test before and after. 30% twice a week sound OK?
Old 09-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #16 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I like to do 50%'s but you can start with 30 and then test an hour after you do a change to see if they're still high, if they are you'll have to do another water change until they're at least under 20ppm.

Tags
nitrates