Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #1 
summersea

Critter Keepers - help?

So I have observed that a lot of people use the critter keepers from Petco as their betta tanks. I have one DT male who is currently in a little 1.5g tank. While he seems happy and is healthy with the water changes he receives, I would like to upgrade him to something bigger but don't have the money for the more expensive tanks.

I am wonder, how well are the critter keepers liked? Can I keep a heater and a filter in the tank with him? Do they come with lights? If not, what do you use as a lighting system?

I appreciate any comments! :)
summersea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #2 
Ilikebutterflies

I only recently bought one and here is my take on it. Petstore.com is selling them sooo super cheap. I think I paid $8 or so for the LARGE that holds 3 gallons. I feel like if I am going to be doing 2x weekly water changes then I want something that isn't awkward. 1.75 gallons is just about perfect for ease of handling. The 3 gallon is heavy @24lb filled. 3 gallons is probably do-able for a planted tank requiring maybe a 50% water change per week but personally I'd like a bugger tank for plants. I don't really care for the plastic mesh top because I'm not sure how I'd light that with plants. I'm sure it would have to come off. Then there is the hassle of getting a plexi-glass top or Syran wrap neither of which I like.

I wish they would make the bigger Kritter Keepers with a larger plexi-glass window to allow for the use of a desk lamp to properly light the tank for plants.

Other than that I love the price. They are perfectly clear and nicely sized. If you buy a bigger one have in mind if you want it planted or not and buy the size accordingly.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #3 
Sokkasmom

I have 3 of my 7 in them. I love them. Easy to clean, easy to feed. I haven't had a problem with having a heater in them. I don't have filters in them, but they get the extra clean up and water changes for that. I have live plants in all 3 of mine, and I haven't had a problem with them growing.
Sokkasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #4 
summersea

Thank you for your opinions! I definitely would like to have a live plant or two in the tank for Razz so lighting is a concern. Plus, I would really prefer a filter. I have one on my 1.5g an the flow doesn't bother my guy (plus - according to water testing - my 1.5g is cycled so would like that with the larger tank as well).

Even if you don't have a filter, would it be possible to add one?
Old 09-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You can use any old desk lamp and replace the bulb with a CFL 6,500K or 5,000K 9-10 watt bulb just fine and that will be more than enough lighting for your plants! I have a Medium Critter Keeper from PetCo which is actually 3 gallons and with the help of my friend I was able to get it for 8 dollars without shipping, without her discount they're still like 9 dollars so that's not bad. And then if you need the light, that's easy enough to get at Wal-Mart or Home Depot cheap. I got a pack of two CFL's at 5,000K for 4 dollars so not bad!

You can fit a Tetra Whisper 3i filter in them, barely but it does fit if you keep the water level up. It's a sort of pain in the tushie so that's up to you to experiment with and yes heater's fit as well! I've used a Top Fin 10 watt heater, a Marineland C25 heater and a Hydor Theo 25W (Not all the the same time of course!) and they've all fit just fine!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #6 
summersea

Thanks lilnaugrim - once again! lol ;)

I think I may have to give this a try!! My double tail male has grown so much I just feel he has outgrown his tank! And he is such a feisty guy! But with recently purchasing my 10g that I divided I dont have the money to get another acrylic tank. May be making a trip to the nearest PetCo this weekend! Yay!!
Old 09-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Very welcome ^_^ You can always split your 10 into 3 as well. That's the most amount of times that I will split it but it still gives everyone 3.3 gallons and technically the whole 10 gallon tank with the circulation of water
Old 09-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #8 
summersea

I thought about that but Artie and Fabio are both pretty active and Fabio is a biiiig boy! I hate to take any room from him. So will either make a kritter keeper work or wait until I can afford another aquarium. I already have everything I need to fill the inside of a bigger tank - just need a tank! lol
Old 09-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #9 
bettaakapes

Critter keepers are good besides the fact that they are small. For a betta I recommend the ones from petco or petsmart but they must be 3 gallons or more to house a betta. any filter will work if rated for a small aquarium. the heater idea in anything smaller than 5 gallons will be a horrible idea because of the small volume of water that gets heated and cooled very quickly. This could be fatal for your fish. If you do get a critter keeper get 3 gallons or larger. Depending on your budget petco has a dollar per gallon sale sometimes so you could easily get a 5 or 10 gallon. As for lighting, they don't come with lights and unless you are keeping live plants witch I recommend, you do not need lighting. But if you want it go on ebay and look up desk lamps and buy one of those. These should be ok for low light plants, like anubias, crypts, and a few others. Hope I helped!
bettaakapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Note* 5 gallon tanks are not included in the 1 dollar/gal sale.

Also my 3 gallon stay's a very steady temp as does the 1 gallon with the heater in it, granted it's just a QT critter keeper but the fact remains that, if your house temp isn't swinging everywhere, the tank will stay +-2 degree's from the heater if it's adjustable. Non-adjustable heater's I cannot vouch for and do not recommend them if you can, but if that's what you have the I'm sure it will work fine for it's purpose.

Desk lamps are also pretty cheap at wal-mart as well and no shipping and if you use a CFL bulb to replace the original one it comes with (if it does come with one) and find one that is 5,000K or higher then you can easily achieve high lighting and grow plants like dwarf hairgrass and other carpet plants very easily and then follows medium and low light plants will do wonderful as well!