Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2010, 11:26 AM   #31 
1fish2fish

I would also like to add that the bag should be filled with clean dechlorinated water and NOT the water from the tank unless you have just done a water change that day. Especially if the fish is being shipped priority you want it to be in water with as little ammonia as possible. Using tank water means the fish will already have ammonia in the bag and we all know what small spaces + ammonia can do to a fish.

I don't remember if I saw this or not but you should also fast the fish before shipping so he doesn't release much waste. I fast my fish for 1-3 days prior to shipping .
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:44 PM   #32 
FloridaBettas239

I agree 1fish, When i ship i fast for 2-3 day's before shipping. Also i only ship mon-wen so fish dont get stuck at the post office or where ever over the weekend.

And the water i use, I take gallon jug's and fill the up with fresh condition water. Then i will let the water age for 2 day's and then put a little in each bag.

Aged water is so much better than shocking bettas with tap water. And i would not use aquarium water. That has already had fish in it. Thats a no no..
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:12 AM   #33 
MrVampire181

Ya I put somewhere in there that you shouldn't use tank or jar water.

I'm not sure if I said something about fasting but YES that is important.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:57 AM   #34 
purplemuffin

Ok, I have a question!!

Now, for someone faced with a big move, what would be the least stressful way to move a betta? Say someone had to go across the state, spending a night or two on the road..Eating, stopping for restroom..That seems like a lot of driving and a lot of temperature changes! Shipping sounds stressful as well, especially if the fish is handled poorly. But which would be best for the health of the fish if one wanted to take their betta with them? (Like, if no one in the area was willing to care for it properly!)

Would it be better to take them in the long car ride? Or send them ahead with a tank set up and waiting at the new location?
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:47 AM   #35 
1fish2fish

With that situation your basically 50/50. If you ship the fish there is a chance something could happen during shipment, it could get jostled or lost or placed near an a/c or heater and the fish could arrive dead. If you take the fish on the road the bumps and movement could be very stressful and the fish could become ill once he arrived.

IMO I would pack the fish very carefully as if you were mailing him and just bring him with you. As long as your trip is under 3 days he should be fine. Just remember to go against your instinct. Don't fill the bag with a lot of water, fill it with a little water. The more water you have the more inertia the fish will have and the more bumpy and stressful the ride will be.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:46 PM   #36 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
Ok, I have a question!!

Now, for someone faced with a big move, what would be the least stressful way to move a betta? Say someone had to go across the state, spending a night or two on the road..Eating, stopping for restroom..That seems like a lot of driving and a lot of temperature changes! Shipping sounds stressful as well, especially if the fish is handled poorly. But which would be best for the health of the fish if one wanted to take their betta with them? (Like, if no one in the area was willing to care for it properly!)

Would it be better to take them in the long car ride? Or send them ahead with a tank set up and waiting at the new location?
Put your betta in a gallon jar with a lid and fill it with about 2 inches of water plop your betta in there and your good to go. But with each stop you'll need to adjust your betta to new water which can be stressful so bring a long a couple jugs of conditioned water from home.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:04 PM   #37 
FloridaBettas239

You can pack him up in a box like your going to ship him but leave the top open some so he can still get light and take him with you so you know he is not getting kicked around at the post office..
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:18 PM   #38 
1fish2fish

Note on the Kordon Breather bags.. I've heard they are dangerous to use with air breathing fish.. I'll have to find where I read it, something about they let all the oxygen out of the bag..
Old 08-29-2010, 06:52 PM   #39 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Note on the Kordon Breather bags.. I've heard they are dangerous to use with air breathing fish.. I'll have to find where I read it, something about they let all the oxygen out of the bag..
Hmm I've never had a problem with them.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:29 PM   #40 
purplemuffin

Ok, thanks for the info and advice. But what I worry about is... in a small amount of water, how much does temp changes affect the betta? I live in the blistering heated state known as Texas(Just praying for a day to be under 100 degrees! 90 is 'cool' to me right now!!) and with the air conditioning going in the car and stops and such.. How could I prevent stress? Would packing with all the styrofoam and such around him help insulate the box to slow the temp changes?

I don't yet have the betta in question, but I am just trying to prepare for anything that could happen in the future. My family is known for random big moves that involve several days of travel, AND I am trying to figure out how I would want to get a betta home safely from Savannah, GA to the middle of Texas!

I'm trying to see if there is anyone driving home, but that scares me a little, it wouldn't be their pet so they would pay less attention to him/her and I fear he would be left in a hot car while the family stops by mcdonalds or something to grab a bite and he wouldn't make it home alive!

I contacted the airline I use to fly to school, they claimed they didn't want to do the fish thing(seemed some people said 'no!' due to the no liquids, and some said 'yes' but claimed they would have to charge 100 dollars or possibly more because of the strange request... One woman I talked to seemed..very confused, actually said she might have to charge a whole ticket for the fish!...I don't know about that one, she must think bettas are huge, lol!!)

And then, I have a friend who lives in an apartment over the school year and her family ships her reptiles to and from the school, BUT there is even a special 'ship your reptile' website with policies and supplies that help get your animals to and from places safely...but I know fish are more sensitive and so this makes me nervous as well. I wish it could be as easy as her set up, she has never had a problem with the transportation! But they are big grown up animals that get to have a much more 'snug' packaging for transportation...not a bag of water!

Last thing I can see happening is just letting the betta live with someone over the summer! :( But summers last a long time at our school, by the time I got back for the next fall semester....the 'babysitter' would have had the fish longer than me! So I might as well just give it up to the person at the end of the year, you know?

So frustrating. Wish the airport pet policy wasn't as expensive!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote