Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #1 
Goldie2nd

My Journey With Bettas

I thought I should post a little bit of how I started with bettas. I was about 7-8 years old when I got my first betta from a pet shop. This was about 1992-1993 somewhere around that time, I had my purple-blue VT Male betta in one of those small cups, that had the cap with the holes on top so they could breath air. This set up was crappy compared with what I found out later on. Of course this betta dies in a few months, for we only gave him betta pellets once a day and well even though we used Water Conditioner it was not the best for this betta.

Flash forward to 2012 and I bought a Female Betta from Walmart. I decided to look for info on bettas online and found this forum. This was my first source of information about bettas and it has been very helpful even now. Sadly this betta only made it to 5 months even though she had a 10 gallon tank she had ICK from the Neon Tetras I had not Quarantine and just dumped in the tank. Trust me I was furious but with myself. Then in May 2012 I got my second VT called Neon he I also got from Walmart I'm happy to say he's doing great with my mother he's already 1 and 4 months old.
She also has my CT Red Crown that's also 1 year old I got him in July.

In October 2012 I moved to Maryland to be with my boyfriend and since I missed having a betta he got me my Red VT Omega

with a 2.8 Gallon Tank, Heater and some decorations. He still particularly loves Omega.

I also got my Baby Betta that's a double tail called Double Tail

in a 3 gallon tank with heater and some very few decorations. She has grown tremendously since the time I got her. I also have a Halfmoon Called Sky in a Medium Sized Critter Keeper with heater, gravel and some plants.

Of course I have had failures especially since my mother usually got fish she once had a 20 gallon tank full of fish only to dump them at the beach for she did not want to take care of them. It hurt me then and it still hurts me now she did that, I sometimes wish I had been older so then I could have taken on that Aquarium oh well, now I'm older and I have become a member of The International Betta Congress, I have five Healthy Bettas and I'm currently reading on Betta Genetics because whenever I'm able to I want to breed healthy, show worthy bettas. Having made part of the IBC has been a wonderful experience for me and I encourage all of those who keep,breed and ever thought about showing bettas to join because it's a great way to make friends with other Betta Enthusiast and Learn even more about Bettas things you never even knew about! I'm by no means a breeder or shower of bettas but I can attest that it's a great thing to be part of the IBC, the information is invaluable so if you want to learn even more about bettas and make even more Betta friends I encourage you to join. It's only $20 for a yearly subscription and it's way worth it.

www.ibcbettas.org
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #2 
lottieBendie

Your fish are very pretty! :D
lottieBendie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #3 
Stormykitty

My local petco has some seriously pretty bettas. Like. Show worthy pretty.

I didn't know the IBC was so inexpensive to join. I may just when I figure how to take care of this little guy and get another one.
Stormykitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #4 
lottieBendie

Lucky! The ones at my local petco is really picked over all the time. :(
lottieBendie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #5 
Goldie2nd

Well sadly the baby betta and the red vt passed a few days ago. The red vt had velvet and some white dangly worms o. His head and fins and the baby had velvet also. I'm sorry to say.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 09-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #6 
JustinieBeanie

I'm very sorry to hear that. At least they had a nice life with you before they passed. S.I.P.
JustinieBeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #7 
Goldie2nd

I gave them the best I could and that's what counts.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App