Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #1 
samadair76

HELP-Cloudy water with sticky bubbles

I need some help. My daughter recently got a male betta fish. His water is constantly cloudy. We got a marimo (moss ball) but it doesn't seem to be doing much. In addition, this little fish LOVES to make these gross bubbles that float and stick to the top side of the tank. I'm having to change his water every week. Is this all normal???
samadair76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #2 
bettacrazygirl86

The bubbles are natural. Bettas create these bubbles to form bubble nests, which, when they spawn, they keep the baby betta eggs in.

What size is the tank? What substrate are you using? (Sand, gravel?) Does the tank have a filter? I'm only asking because each of these things could contribute to the cloudy water, or help take it away, depending.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #3 
samadair76

We have the small colored gravel. It's in a small fish bowl that holds about 1 gallon. There is no filter.
I had heard that the bubbles are for the fertilization process, but he has been dog this for about 6 weeks. You would think he would get tired of making them.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #4 
sainthogan

They never get tired of making them, unless they are ill, or other circumstances prevent them from making bubble nests. Bubbles nests are simply a sign of fertility, it marks their territory, and lets females know that they are ready to breed. So, always expect him to have bubbles in his tank, if he stops, you may need to question his health.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:49 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

+1^

Most keepers are thrilled when their fish makes bubblenests. With a tank that small, I'd like to suggest you do at least two full water changes per week. Use Prime water conditioner every change to detoxify ammonia.

Please read this:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...h-care-232570/

Welcome to the forum.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #6 
samadair76

Thanks for all of your help. I just wanted to make sure his behavior was normal and he wasn't sick. I've had other fish in larger tanks with filters so this small tank business is all new to me. I'm glad he seems happy where he is. I just wanted to make sure it was okay to change his water, as I heard it was not good to change it frequently. Thanks again :)
Old 09-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #7 
TakingthePlunge

Misinformation strikes again. Unfortunately, Bettas are both very hardy, adaptive fish, but can also be fragile if subjected to sudden changes, so the myth has gotten around that changing the water can kill your fish. If you change the water correctly, you can change it every day and not bother the fish. If you just dump out the tank, refil it from the hose, and dump your fish back in, well.. that can kill him. As long as you are letting the water for the change come to the same temp as his tank (or very close) and using a water conditioner, he will appreciate water changes. ^_^

One note I will make, though -- if your gravel is the "painted" kind, sometimes that will leach stuff into the water to make it cloudy. I have had much better luck with natural gravels, and sand. I have seen others on the site use colored marbles, and glass beads when they want a more colorful tank, since those won't leach stuff into the water.
TakingthePlunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #8 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Great, Samadair. You know about keeping fish and how to cycle a tank. Get him into a cycled tank (2.5g at a minimum) as soon as you can. He'll thank you for it.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #9 
samadair76

I took out the colored gravel and replaced it with marbles. I'm going to see how that does for a little while.