Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2013, 10:08 PM   #1 
AnimalLov3

5.5 Gallon

I'm looking into getting a 5.5 gallon tank for my male Crowntail Betta.

I was wondering if it was possible to keep a snail, and a Panda Cory in with him?
AnimalLov3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #2 
sunstar93

You could probably keep a snail in there with him, provided that you can make sure the tank is clean (they produce a lot of waste for such a little animal). But a Panda Cory would not do well....Cories do best in groups of at least 3 (preferably more) and the little guy would be very sad on his own. And they need space, more than a 5.5 gal can give them (my thought is that Cories should be in at least a 10 gallon, so you can have at least 3 or 4 and make sure they have lots of space). Your best bet would be the snail and forego the cories...OR get a 10 gallon and then you can get a nice little school of Pandas :3
I think PetCo is currently having their $1/gallon sale. I am a big fan of cories and love them...so if you decide to get a 10 gallon you could easily get 4 or 5 Pandas!
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:29 PM   #3 
AnimalLov3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunstar93 View Post
You could probably keep a snail in there with him, provided that you can make sure the tank is clean (they produce a lot of waste for such a little animal). But a Panda Cory would not do well....Cories do best in groups of at least 3 (preferably more) and the little guy would be very sad on his own. And they need space, more than a 5.5 gal can give them (my thought is that Cories should be in at least a 10 gallon, so you can have at least 3 or 4 and make sure they have lots of space). Your best bet would be the snail and forego the cories...OR get a 10 gallon and then you can get a nice little school of Pandas :3
I think PetCo is currently having their $1/gallon sale. I am a big fan of cories and love them...so if you decide to get a 10 gallon you could easily get 4 or 5 Pandas!
I saw panda Cories on petco...I fell in love x.x I gotz the fish bug.

Only problem: I'm only 15, and my dad has strictly said NO to the 10 gallon for the moment! I guess I'll just stick with the snail...stupid fish bug why you gotta bite me when I'm not old enough to do thinggsssss.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:35 PM   #4 
sunstar93

Trust me I know the feeling!! I saw the cutest little Peppered cories at PetCo yesterday but had to keep walking by them...don't have the room for them, I only have a 10 and it's full of bettas :3
Snails are still pretty cool though. I had a black Mystery snail a while ago and he was pretty neat, always moving around and getting into things lol. Just don't get more than one unless you are prepared to deal with infinite baby snails! There's also different kinds of snails- I think some PetCo's sell Assassin snails and I've heard those guys are pretty cool. Just be sure to read up about them before you get one!!
Old 09-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #5 
AnimalLov3

That's actually why I'm getting one! My sister put two snails together..I'm getting one of the babies. Although I am kind of worried about the genes..the mother's shell is slowly falling apart. Been that way since she got her.

And the problem I'm having with research is I have NO clue what kind of snail they are. And I can't find anything about snails in general..

I had 3 snails when I was like, 10? But they never moved. And then they died. I guess that kind of got my brain hating snails? Haha. But now that I think I'm pretty sure they were poorly kept, the poor things. I feel a little bad for them.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:12 PM   #6 
sunstar93

The shell may be falling apart because there isn't enough calcium in the water. The sell shouldn't/doesn't do that because of genes. The easiest thing is to go to Walmart and pick up a 98 cent cuttlebone (in the bird section) and break off a piece and throw it in the tank. It'll slowly dissolve the calcium into the water. If you can't get one at Walmart, you can get them just as easily at a pet store. I like the Walmart ones because they don't have any added salt- always check the back of the package!! If in doubt...don't buy it! It should just be plain cuttlebone. And it won't harm your fish, cycle or tank- it'll float for a few days and then sink. Just take it out when it starts to get nasty and really slimy and add in a new piece.

Most snails are just labeled as "mystery snails" when they are really Apple Snails. Apple Snails are more of a temperate water species- they will hibernate when the temperature gets warm and that's why they don't ever seem too energetic/active. At least that's what I've read anyway. But they are pretty cool and most fish just leave them alone. If they get picked on too much they can get stressed out and die (which is why mine died, at least I'm pretty sure). Just google "apple snail care" :3

And don't feel bad!! Every one has their "little kid fish horror stories". Mine is I kept a platy and 2 cories in a goldfish bowl for a whole summer...a long time ago but I'm sure the poor things suffered!! Thankfully I know better!!
Old 09-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #7 
AnimalLov3

Ahhhh thank you! I'll have her try it, she's been so sad about her snail. I'm glad it's not genes though! We weren't sure because of the fact that she's been that way since my sister got her. Although it may be to late for the poor girl, my sister says its fallen off enough to where you can 'see things you shouldn't.' Like..inside the shell? Or something. But it's a good future thing, and I'll tell her about it and hope she tries it anyway!

I think I'm just worried about it being boring and not moving? I'm not sure. I think I kind of just want ALLLL THE FISH. Haha. But I'm gonna get it anyway! We'll see hat happens.. And I shall google it! Trust me..research is not something you have to worry about with me.. >> << my friend says I have a problem haha. MAYBE A LITTLE.

It's not really a fish story but:
We had frogs(same time as the snails) from tadpoles in the pig's water(who apparently died recently and I didn't know! *sad* it's at my step mom's house. Or..was. She was old.) and they were doing well..then they ate each other. And then the one that ate the others got bloated and died. v-v

Sorry. I'm kind of a rambler ^^'
Old 09-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #8 
sunstar93

Lol if you're like me about researching (and it sounds like you are!) they have a bunch of apple snail forums/websites that detail problems like that, and from people who know much more than me!
Sometimes they are super active and move around all the time and sometimes they just sit there -_- but they are pretty cool little critters to have :3

And I know the feeling about wanting all the fish!! But trust me don't start saying "it's ok it's just one" because then it'll turn into 10 lol that's how it was with my cories...I ended up having to give them away :(

Ew!!! Lol but frogs are opportunistic feeders...so I'm not surprised!! I had an albino BN pleco with my cories and I went away for the weekend...came back and the poor pleco was dead and the cories had eaten the flesh from its head O.O a little creepy not gonna lie!!
Old 09-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #9 
AnimalLov3

It occurred to me that my sister is probably NOT going to listen to me. Because she's had her aquarium longer and she's older so she thinks I don't know a thing.

DUDE. That's exactly what I need haha. I have like 4986279642976 different aquarium websites haha.

I'm kind of excited..but I have to wait for the babies to grow so my Betta doesn't eat it. O3O'

I make no promises I won't have that issue at least once... Haha! I saw the most beautiful Betta on the petsmart website...I wanted it. ;3;

Very creepy indeed...o-o' Oh fishes...They are crazy sometimes!
Old 09-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #10 
JamieL

My snail is crazy! He cruises all over the tank, climbs up the plants, he's all over! He's really fun to watch, he just makes a lot of poop. But I think you'll enjoy watching the snail. If you can get some real plants in there, they love them and they're fun to watch on the plants.
JamieL is offline   Reply With Quote