Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #11 
AnimalLov3

I already have one but I planned on getting more when I upgrade him!

I'm kind of excited... I also like that its an egg, so i'll know how old it is!
AnimalLov3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #12 
sunstar93

Definitely a good plan to wait for the babies to grow!! You don't want the babies to become an all you can eat buffet xD

Yes live plants will definitely make your snail happy. And in a 5.5 you can definitely get some low-light plants that don't need a whole lot of care. I have a "black thumb" and I've managed to keep an Anubis alive for the last 5 months lol. I personally love Anubis and Moss Balls. Just be very wary of the plants in the tubes you can find at the big pet stores- most are not at all aquatic and will end up rotting when submerged in the water. Your best bet is to get a plant from one of the "planted tanks" at the store where it's just a bunch of plants floating around with no fish in it. Then you know that there is a very good chance you'll get an actual aquatic plant :3

And if you absolutely must have that little cutie you saw (as is my case most of the time lol) you can always divide the tank down the middle. You can look up DIY dividers (much less expensive than the ones you buy at the pet store and they work better for letting water flow through to each side). You just can't divide a 5.5 more than once because then you'll run into each fish not having enough space.
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #13 
AnimalLov3

NOOOO thank you! I'd like him NOT to eat them please! Haha.

I think I saw one of those at petco... Currently I have a Tropica fern that came in the little tube but it seems to be doing okay...I think. Haha. I really want to get him some bamboo! I love bamboo and I heard it was safe for bettas.

I'm actually not allow to buy him haha. But I loved his colors! Oops, my mistake. It was PetCO not PetSmart. Also I am not at all confident about putting a divider! Heard to many stories about them getting over(when the owner was positive they couldn't) and one getting killed..

Isn't he beautiful though??
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #14 
sunstar93

Lol some bettas are okay with other critters, even eggs. But I wouldn't trust any of mine- they stole food from my cories (when I had them) even though bettas are supposed to not really like algae tabs! They also go after fingers, arms and anything on the outside of the tank, even water dripping down the side haha.

Yes he is gorgeous :) I haven't had a CT male, but I love their fins, theres just something about that spiky look!!

Lol I have to stop myself from going over by the fish whenever I go in for dog or cat food! And it also helps when I don't have cash with me haha. And that's what I like about the homemade dividers, you can make them fit so much better than the store bought ones. But, hey, to each their own :) I had my 10 gallon divided 3 ways and all my babies were fine, but I also seem to have good luck and pick out fish that aren't too stressed out by their neighbors and tend to ignore them.

I bought a tube plant once and it turned out to be a peace lily...definitely not an aquatic plant! I think the Tropica ferns are fine though :3 and bamboo is pretty cool- the only thing is to make sure there are no leaves below the waterline. They rot and release a toxin into the water (at least I'm pretty sure that's what happens). So as long as you keep all the leaves above the water and in the air it should be fine!!
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #15 
AnimalLov3

My sister's Goldfish swallowed an algae wafer whole when she threw it in there for the snail...so cussed at it haha.

I wanna know if it hurts when a Betta bites you! He loves following my finger, as long as it doesn't get to close!

The lucky thing right now...is I have to go through my parents! Haha.

I shall make sure of this..thanks for telling me! I didn't know about that. I want to get him multiple water plants for his 5.5 gallon aquarium when I get it..
Old 09-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #16 
killersquash

I have an apple snail in with my betta in a 5gal and they get along pretty well, although I do catch my betta nipping at him occasionally. The snail is a lot of fun but yes, they do poop a lot. It's fun to feed them leafy greens and cucumbers, and they really do have a lot of personality. As far as compatibility with snails I think it varies from fish to fish.
killersquash is offline   Reply With Quote