Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #1 
OrangeAugust

Would bettas eat neon tetras??

I have a 55 gallon tank that has been running since the end of March. Neon tetras are the first fish I got, and eventually, female bettas are the last fish I got. I've had the bettas for about 3-4 months now (there are 6 of them. There used to be 7 but I removed one because she was getting picked on really badly). Anyway, I noticed this past week that three of my neon tetras are missing. I used to have 9, and I counted 6 the other day. I looked all over the tank and counted a few more times and I only counted 6. I did the same thing the next day. There are only 6. Three of them totally disappeared!! They're not stuck to the filter intake or anything.
Would bettas eat them? My bettas did eradicate my large population of pond snails within a few weeks. I know pond snails are much smaller than neons, but my bettas seem to enjoy eating living stuff. I doubt the 3 neons all died around the same time (and therefore their bodies were eaten by the bettas). Since I had all of the neons for about 5 months they wouldn't have been carrying a disease that just killed three of them off now, right? Is it possible that the bettas killed them and ate them? The other fish I have are zebra danios (which are small but I think way too fast for a betta to catch), julii cories, and oto cats (i just got those about a month ago). And I don't think any of them would have killed a neon.
What if, because I moved out the smallest betta that was getting picked on, the rest of the girls needed someone to pick on, so they started killing the neons?? Because that's when this started.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

If the Neon's died, it is completely possible that they ate the bodies. Fish are opportunistic eater's, they don't know they are guaranteed a meal everyday and sometimes twice a day so they'll eat whenever they can. And sometimes they will kill if they can. It's not unheard of that Betta's male or female, killing and eating smaller fish.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #3 
JustinieBeanie

I also think it's possible the neons died, and then the bettas and other fish ate them, but it is interesting that after you removed the sorority girl who was getting picked on, the neons went missing. Of course that could be a complete coincidence, and maybe something non betta related happened to those three. While you might never know for sure what happened, the only ways I can think of to try to find out would be to A) Set up a video camera (a camera that takes pictures at regular intervals should work too) next to the tank and check the footage to see if anything happens or B) Remove all the bettas, and if more fish disappear after removing the bettas, you will know for sure it was not the bettas. Of course, if you remove the bettas and nothing happens, that doesn't mean it was definately the bettas, it could just mean something happened to those three, and the other fish ate them. You'll have to play fishy detective and try to unravel the mystery of the vanishing fish! ;)
Is it possible they maybe got sucked into the filter, stuck in some crevice somewhere in the tank, or escaped out of some tiny space? If a fish or two ... or three escaped (which sounds improbable to me but I guess it could happen) I wouldn't put it past a hungry pet if you have any, like cat, dog, ferret, etc. to eat a fish that lept from the tank, which might explain how fish could just disappear.
JustinieBeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Also Neons will eat each other as well, actually all fish even if they are herbivore will eat other fish/inverts. It's just something they do lol, rather sucks but it happens. So it might not necessarily be the girls, it could have been any of the fish.

Also since Neons are not as hardy as they used to be, many die for just no reason or rather they do die for a reason; mostly weak immune systems or Neon Tetra Disease and stuff like that. And then when they are close to death, the other fish know it and will basically just kill them from there and have a tasty snack :-/
Old 09-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #5 
OrangeAugust

Ok, thanks, guys.
If all three died within a short amount of time, what could cause that besides getting eaten by another fish or getting stuck in the filter or something (I checked the filter intake and there's nothing in it). Since I've had them for so long, it's probably not some disease that they've had since 5 months ago when I bought them from the pet store, could it?

Oops, I just saw your reply. We both replied at the same time.
Thanks.

Last edited by OrangeAugust; 09-09-2013 at 10:22 AM.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #6 
JustinieBeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post

Also since Neons are not as hardy as they used to be, many die for just no reason or rather they do die for a reason; mostly weak immune systems or Neon Tetra Disease and stuff like that. And then when they are close to death, the other fish know it and will basically just kill them from there and have a tasty snack :-/
Are the neon tetras not as hardy as they were in the past to due bad breeding or something? Also what is neon tetra disease?
Old 09-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinieBeanie View Post
Are the neon tetras not as hardy as they were in the past to due bad breeding or something? Also what is neon tetra disease?
Yeah, it's all the inbreeding they've done of them and just over breeding in general. I don't remember exactly what the NTD contains but you can do a google search to look it up. But it's the same idea in Dwarf Gourami's as well, too much breeding and chemical injections (in the DG's case) which has made them weak and vulnerable to many things so they now have their own diseases.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #8 
JustinieBeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Yeah, it's all the inbreeding they've done of them and just over breeding in general. I don't remember exactly what the NTD contains but you can do a google search to look it up. But it's the same idea in Dwarf Gourami's as well, too much breeding and chemical injections (in the DG's case) which has made them weak and vulnerable to many things so they now have their own diseases.
Chemical Injections?!?! What are they giving the gourami's those for? I've heard of certain fish being given chemical injections for enhanced color or something like that, are neon tetras and dwarf gourami's also subject to this practice?
Old 09-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #9 
jaysee
Reference Team

No, neons are not injected for color and I have not heard that of dwarf gouramis either. GBRs are the ones that are supposed to be pumped up with hormones to make them more colorful. I am skeptical about all that though, as it is just SOOOOO easy for someone to just say something without any evidence to back it up, and others that don't know any better repeat it until it becomes "common knowledge".
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #10 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinieBeanie View Post
Chemical Injections?!?! What are they giving the gourami's those for? I've heard of certain fish being given chemical injections for enhanced color or something like that, are neon tetras and dwarf gourami's also subject to this practice?
They will inject femal DGs with male hormones so they look more like males and sell better. I don't think they inject NT or DG with color.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettas eating neon tetras, female bettas, neon tetras