Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #1 
tilli94

Black moor in freshwater stream?

Hey everyone I recently moved to a new town and haven't been able to explore much but one thing I did find (of course!) is that there are quite a few freshwater streams that run under the road I live on. So naturally I find any excuse to be near them as my babies are all at home. :'( well today on the way to the store I unsurprisingly looked down into the stream only to see a fish that didn't look like it belonged. Upon closer inspection I realized it was a goldfish, a black moor to be specific. A very cute black moor may I add

So, my problem is this, can he live in that water? I frequently see all kinds of trash in these streams in the few weeks I've been here and the water moves pretty swiftly in certain parts. Also although we're in a heat wave right now, we're quickly heading for winter and I really don't want him to freeze :/ so should I catch him and bring him into my apartment? I've read he'll need probably close to 20 gallons and it may take a while but I'm willing to find a tank for him instead of letting him die in that stream.

P.s. he can't have been in there long as I've never seen him before

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  35.4 KB

Sorry for the run on sentences and the picture of a picture I didn't have my ipad with me when I saw him and I'm a terrible writer :/
tilli94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:34 AM   #2 
April0684

I have read that Black Moors can be pond fish but to me there is a big difference between someone owning them and keeping them in their own personal ponds at their home or in this case someone either not wanting him anymore or couldn't keep him anymore and just set it free in the wild. I am a big believer in never letting animals who are pets loose in the wild. I'm pretty sure most of them wouldn't know how to find food since it had always been provided for them. Also, sometimes it can compete and win out over native species and cause a really huge problem.

With all of that said in my opinion if I was you I would try and get him and take him back to your place and I'm sure having him would help cheer you up over missing your own fishes back home.
April0684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #3 
LadyVictorian

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAA

that is what I have to say about it. Being a domestic fishy if I was you I would take him out of there and give him or her a proper home. Besides something might eat it if it stays there. These fish are not meant to live in the wild.

P.S. 20 gallons with a good filter would be okay for it if kept alone.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:32 PM   #4 
jaysee
Reference Team

I couldn't imagine keeping the goldfish I had in a 20 gallon tank.

Goldfish can withstand winters just fine - no need to worry about it freezing.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #5 
LadyVictorian

Well if their winters are as bad as theirs the stream will completely ice up and that would=dead fish fish. They can do well in cold water but can't live in a chunk of ice.

And 20 gallons is good for temp living, obviously as it gets larger it will need a bigger tank.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #6 
jaysee
Reference Team

Why waste money on a temporary tank? It's not like they require massive tanks - they just need more than a small tank. And if you are going to keep goldfish, then you should keep a group since they are highly social fish.

Streams don't become a big block of ice, and anywhere that will freeze top to bottom will not have fish frozen in the ice, I can assure you. They do have a good sense of self preservation. Moving water does not freeze, so while the surface may have frozen over, the water below is still flowing.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #7 
LadyVictorian

It honestly depends on the stream, ours freezes full to the bottom most places aside a few which is why fish do not naturally accrue in it. Obviously this fish was dumped off by someone who could not manage to care for it, being domestic and none native it shouldn't be left in the wild.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #8 
Riverotter

Please go save him and don't let ANYONE make you feel guilty about keeping him in a 20G.
That size tank will be just fine until he gets good and big and ime the growth of fancy goldfish slows once they reach 3 inches, so you've got a while before he needs a bigger tank.

And whatever you, a conscientious, experienced fish owner, can give him is better than a stream which may well freeze solid and if it doesn't, the poor little guy will surely be supper for the first raccoon that comes by.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #9 
Fenghuang

Black moors are fancies, so ideal temp is more like 72-74 degrees Fahrenheit for them. They are not build to within freezing temperatures.

A temporary 20 gallon one is much better than being out there in the stream. Black moors aren't great swimmers and would be easy prey for predators. And I agree with everyone else; it is a domestic fish and just doesn't belong in the wild. Please rescue him if you can.

Last edited by Fenghuang; 09-12-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #10 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverotter View Post
don't let ANYONE make you feel guilty about keeping him in a 20G.
We all have to decide for ourselves how much room we want to give our fish to swim. It's no different than bettas or any other fish. There are a lot of people that don't feel like a 20 gallon is large enough for a goldfish, and there are people that think that it is. The people that think that it is obviously also think it's okay to keep a goldfish by itself, while those that don't think 20 gallons is large enough generally think that goldfish should be kept in a group. If someone feels guilty about something, then there's usually a reason for it, and that reason should not be minimized - even if it's inconvenient. I personally don't care what anyone does with their fish - it's really not that big of a deal.