Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #61 
tilli94

I'll just flat out refuse to kill it. I'll say I found a black moor goldfish and if they tell me they want the corpse I'll be like "oops, I don't know where it went" *shrug*
tilli94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #62 
tilli94

Either way I'm not killing him. I'll keep him if I can't find a home for him but I'm not killing him because some idiot dumped him in a stream to die a slow, cold death.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:46 PM   #63 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli94 View Post
I'll just flat out refuse to kill it. I'll say I found a black moor goldfish and if they tell me they want the corpse I'll be like "oops, I don't know where it went" *shrug*
just report a sighting in that river. Don't tell them that you caught it. Easy as that, and fishy gets to live.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:49 PM   #64 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Is it bad that I love that attitude?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:28 AM   #65 
JustinieBeanie

I agree you should ask if a person who finds an invasive goldfish could keep it as a pet. Afterall, it is not dangerous and doesnt require a license or a person with specialized training and qualifications (like a wildlife rehabilator) to keep. If they say a person who catches the fish cannot keep it, ask if they would be willing to let the fish live if you relinquished it to a local shelter or rescue group. Of course that means you'd have to get in contact with some local organizations to make sure one would be willing to take in a fish. A rescue group for reptiles &/or exotics might take it, or maybe even a "regular" cat/dog shelter. In fact, petfinder.com even has a "scales, fins, and other" section where if you look, there are groups that sometimes have fish needing new homes.

While I can understand why they want to have the fish I can also understand your frustration as it would be a shame after all your hard work to catch it and all its hard work to stay alive it had to be killed. It makes sense to remove and euthanize members of an invasive species when there are multiple individuals which for a multitude of possible reasons can't be kept alive in captivity, for instance when there not enough appropriate knolwedgeable places willing to take the animal, the animal gets too big, is too dangerous etc, however in this case it does seem a bit unfair for one fish to be killed. Especially when the fish is possibly just a "one off" individual released by an irresponsible owner who no longer wants it. One fish which is not dangerous, which has already been removed from the native ecosystem, and which can relatively easily be kept by "regular" people without a permit, as opposed to an animal that must go to a zoo, sanctuary, or specially trained/licensed person. However on the other hand, I do of course understand why they not only want the fish removed but want the body as well, and I suppose they can't make lots of exceptions.

Like others said, you could just report a sighting, as opposed to telling them you have the captured fish. I'm not sure how it works, but if someone reports a sighting of an invasive animal, they might send someone out to look for the animal and to make sure there isn't an established, possibly breeding local population. And if there is no established population and you have already removed the animal reported in the sighting, it's making them go out there for nothing. But like someone else said, you could say the fish died. I'd say keep researching your local laws to make sure you're not doing anything illegal. I think it's fantastic you even cared enough to go to all the trouble to catch the fish, lots of people wouldn't have done that! Keep us posted.

Last edited by JustinieBeanie; 09-16-2013 at 12:45 AM.
JustinieBeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:35 AM   #66 
tilli94

Well I'll call tomorrow and see what they say. I'll tell them I saw one and am thinking about catching him. If they say I can keep him il say "oh look I already caught him" if they say no ill say "oh that's a shame he'd be a great roommate for the black moor I already have" *wink wink* either way I'm not letting him die because of some idiotic rule they have. He's a goldfish for Pete's sake!
Old 09-16-2013, 01:50 AM   #67 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli94 View Post
Well I'll call tomorrow and see what they say. I'll tell them I saw one and am thinking about catching him. If they say I can keep him il say "oh look I already caught him" if they say no ill say "oh that's a shame he'd be a great roommate for the black moor I already have" *wink wink* either way I'm not letting him die because of some idiotic rule they have. He's a goldfish for Pete's sake!
Why call them and say anything at all??
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:52 AM   #68 
tilli94

I do believe it needs to be reported. Someone should get in trouble for it though that will never happen. Maybe it will encourage them to post more about the hazards of dumping out pets.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:53 AM   #69 
tilli94

I should mention that this stream is right in front of an apartment building so it's not really some baffling mystery as to where he came from
Old 09-16-2013, 05:29 AM   #70 
Saber

^ Figures. We have an apartment complex nearby who does the same thing with cats...College students stay there all the time and then when they realize they can't afford it/get kicked out/move, they just dump their cats on the street. Two of my cats are rescues from those stupid decisions.

Good on you for rescuing the little guy, and I would definitely keep the fact that you already have him under wraps until you know exactly what they're going to want with him.
Saber is offline   Reply With Quote