Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #1 
Jovancheck

Unhappy My fish is really depressed or ill?

Housing
What size is your tank? Old one is 3.5 l, and new one is 8 l
What temperature is your tank? Old arround 76 F, new 78 F
Does your tank have a filter? Old no, new yes (sponge filter)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Old no, new yes
Is your tank heated? Old no, new yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No tank mates

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Sera vipan, Tetra pro colour, some pellets and some larvae
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? In old one every three days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Old- 90 %
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Old-nothing, water just stayed at least 24h...In new one i added Sera nitrivec, so it was cycling 24h and water stayed 3 days

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? NO

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? I noticed his skin is whitish (lighter) on his belly
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He lays on the bottom most of the time, looks unhappy and his fins are not spread anymore like earlier
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I don't know, i got him about 2 weeks ago

So, my fish was living in a 3.5l tank since i got him...In that tank he had nothing, just one silk plant and one ornament...He was so happy, he was swimming all the time, never stayed at the bottom, he was playing, flaring and eating like crazy...I decided to buy him a bigger tank, so i got one that is 2 gallons (8 l), and i bought a bigger ornament with holes, one live plant Microsorum pteropus, sponge filter and a heater....I did everyting to make him happy...Water stayed for 3 days, 24h before i added him i poured Sera Bio Nitrivec, so it can create a beneficial bacteria and after 24h i acclimated him first and added to a new tank....And he is so unhappy now...He stays at the bottom, he swims sometimes, but he is not so active anymore...He eats like always, that's a good thing...But his fins are not spread anymore when he swims, he looks so depressed...I'm not sure what is wrong, i did everything to make him happy and healthy...And he was so happy in old tank, is it possible that i made a mistake moving him to a bigger tank?...I am so sad and angry, i want to cry right now
And just one thing, he hasn't pooped for 2-3 days, so his belly is a little swollen, but tomorow is his fast day...and i noticed that his belly is a little whitish, but noting serious, maybe it was like that already, but i haven't seen that until yesterday...Help us please...
Jovancheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #2 
Jovancheck

Name:  IMG_20130905_002711.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  42.6 KB
This is him before...
Name:  IMG_20130912_140141.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  39.0 KB
This is a new tank, and the old one, and him now...
Old 09-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #3 
ANHEL123

Is he still eating?
Sera Bio Nitrivec, breaks down ammonium and nitrite so i guess its a water conditioner and you used it before when you change the water and he was fine right?
And you used it this time when you change the water?
And try to see when he pooped if his poo white or clear, stringy wormy shape.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #4 
ANHEL123

That Sera product that you added is confusing me. I read review on it. How much of it you added this time. I really think something with the water because he get lethargic right after the water change. I would really start doing a few 50% water changes without that product but you need water conditioner . Also since yesterday did you put something new in the tank?
Old 09-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #5 
Jovancheck

Yes he is eating a lot :) No problem with that....Here is what it says about Sera BioNitrivec...http://www.aquaristikshop.com/e_Prod...o-nitrivec.htm and http://www.sera.de/uk/pages/products...-nitrivec.html.
I never used it before, but since i was starting a new tank, i figured that will be good to use now. I haven't been changing the water yet, because i put him yesterday to a new tank. But i wasn't planning to use it when i change the water, because he has a sponge filter which collects all the beneficial bacteria, so i don't need to add Sera again.
When he pooped last time, it was clear red wormy shape :)
Old 09-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

If what you used is a bacteria starter then its possible you have high nitrites or nitratres (possibly ammonia). If you can't test the water to find out then I would do at least a 50% water change to see if that makes a difference in his behavior.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

also try turning off the filter for a day (or run it with tank water in another tank) and see if he's any better :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by ao; 09-12-2013 at 10:32 AM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #8 
Jovancheck

It says that it should be added one cup (10 ml) per 25 litres...My tank is 8l, so i added 1/3 of a cup....And i didn't put anything new since yesterday...Ok, i will try that. Tonight i will change a 50% of the water, and see if that makes a difference in his behavior...
About the filter, i've tried that last night, but i can tell that he loves it..he often swims around it and he likes bubbles..
Old 09-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #9 
ANHEL123

I would change the water as soon as you can but do not add that product again ,and also you wrote you just let the water sit out for 24 hrs before ,and didn't add any water conditioner. So i am assuming you have well water? I am not sure how well water is working but if you can go and buy water conditioner any way. If you can get Prime by Seachem. Well water is different and some can contain heavy metal. Aging it just removes chlorine and stabilized the pH but the only way to get rid of any heavy metals is a conditioner.
I guess if you can't buy water conditioner , and if you didn't use any water conditioner before , and just let it sit out for 24 hrs, and he was fine then you can do it again . I would do 1-50% and 1-100% water changes about 30 min apart.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #10 
Jovancheck

Yes, i let the water sit out for 24 hrs before ,and i didn't add any water conditioner. I'm not sure how well the water is, i just didn't buy any water conditioner, but i will as soon as possible. He was fine with stayed water, so i'm gonna do that for now. I just must wait for one more hour to pass (24h), and than i can do the change. But I only have enough water for 1-100% change, so what should i do? Thank you all for helping me!

Tags
depressed, stressed, unhappy