Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #1 
ShamrockScorpio

Smile New Life Spectrum

Hello,

Anyone out there feeding this to your betta? I'm wondering how much to give him. There's 2 kinds, one is made for Small Fish - it's incredible small and one says betta on it, which is a little bigger but still small.
Thanks
ShamrockScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I do!!!! That's actually pretty much all my fish will eat excluding live/frozen foods!

It's one of the best foods out there at the moment as it contains both garlic and spirulina. Garlic is a natural anti-parasitic food and thus is great for Betta's, they also love the taste of it so it's common for picky fish to like this food.

I tend to vary my feedings based on the fish, my younger boy's get 6-8 pellets once a day while the older boy's get just about 5-6 and my constipated boy usually get's around 4 pellets a day since he has issues digesting. If I find that my boy's are looking particularly skinny, I'll even feed them right up to 10 pellets if I feel the need since they are so small. I use the Betta Formula btw but the small fish is just as good, actually has more protein in it.

And the girls in my sorority, well I just throw some pinches in and they eat whatever is in there
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #3 
jaysee
Reference Team

I feed mine NLS Thera A - the 1 mm size.

Thera A is the only thing my fish are fed.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #4 
ShamrockScorpio

Thera A, I have that. How much do you feed to 1 betta?
Old 09-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #5 
jaysee
Reference Team

I feed as much as they can eat. The 5 gallon has frogs and snails in it so I feed enough for them all.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #6 
Viva

For the NLS Betta formula I feed each adult fish about 6 - 8 pellets a day (split up into two feedings). Younger, growing fish need a little more and I usually add frozen blood worms and brine shrimp in their diet for protein and fiber.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #7 
ShamrockScorpio

Thanks, I was feeding just 4 a day. I'll increase it.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #8 
FirstBetta

I feed NLS Small Fish .5mm sinking formula. I wish NLS had some floating formulas so I could feed it to my community tank. I feed the amount that looks like the size of his eye once a day.
FirstBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #9 
jaysee
Reference Team

Almost all fish are happy to eat from the bottom. I feed 1,2 and 3 mm pellets. All three will float on the surface for a period of time - the 1 mm pellets circle the tank a few times before sinking, so even fish that exclusively eat from the surface, like African butterflies, can eat their fill.

Ive seen this used as a guideline before, but the idea that a fish's stomach is the size of its eye is absolutely incorrect. The stomach is significantly larger, and if anyone doesn't believe that I would be happy to show you pictures. Aside from being wrong, it totally disregards the fact that the stomach is designed to stretch to accommodate food...so the size of an empty stomach doesn't mean much of anything.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I agree with jaysee ^_^

My girls routinely eat the pellets off the bottom and they seem to actually prefer that. They start at top, well some of them but most dive to bottom to grab the pellets that already sank ^_^ it's easier when you have sand over gravel, with gravel it can fall through making it hard for the fish to get the pellet but for the most part, I agree any fish will eat off the bottom.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote