Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #1 
sillysuperdog

Tail Mystery

Hi,

Ive been poking around this site for a while now, finally joined today. You all are such a wealth of knowledge and seem to love your betas as much as I love mine.

Well, when I woke up yesterday Fish Face looked different. I realized the mid-section of his tail had gone missing.
My best guess is it was his filter intake from when I had it on the night before to clear out particulates after water change/cleaning (tuned off for bedtime).

He is acting totally normal, all swimmy and such.
I don't see any trauma, the edges of his tail look like all the other edges of his fins. I couldn't find the missing piece.

Could it be something else?
Is there anything I should do if his tail really was ripped off (eeek)?

On the left is an old pic but accurate of his full tail. On the right is from today. Notice the "M" shaped missing portion! Thanks so much!
Attached Images

Last edited by sillysuperdog; 09-10-2013 at 06:33 PM.
sillysuperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #2 
marshallsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysuperdog View Post
Hi,

Ive been poking around this site for a while now, finally joined today. You all are such a wealth of knowledge and seem to love your betas as much as I love mine.

Well, when I woke up yesterday Fish Face looked different. I realized the mid-section of his tail had gone missing.
My best guess is it was his filter intake from when I had it on the night before to clear out particulates after water change/cleaning (tuned off for bedtime).

He is acting totally normal, all swimmy and such.
I don't see any trauma, the edges of his tail look like all the other edges of his fins. I couldn't find the missing piece.

Could it be something else?
Is there anything I should do if his tail really was ripped off (eeek)?

On the left is an old pic but accurate of his full tail. On the right is from today. Notice the "M" shaped missing portion! Thanks so much!
Are there other fish? What kind of filter do you have? If it's the filter intake you can buy an intake filter that covers the intake to keep things out.
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #3 
sillysuperdog

No other fish
Tetra brand Whisper. The small one that comes with 2.5 tanks on lowest setting
His tank is a 5.5 gal
Old 09-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #4 
marshallsea

Cover the intake. Maybe something else happened (Don't know what it could be.) but covering it will either stop it or let you know it's not the intake.
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #5 
Laki

Hmm, the way it blends together on the edges make me think its a water issue. Have you tested the params?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #6 
sillysuperdog

Laki,

Yes, I have the full kit to test everything from Ph to nitrates from the petco. Nitrates are always at 20ppm. 0ppm for ammonia and nitrites.
He has lots of plants and a marimo ball. Algae is present but grows very slow.
I have not tested the ph levels myself, though recent pro water analysis shows it to be "non-acidic" High iron well water, by the way.
You mean his fins clamp together around the edges? Ive wondered about that. Hmm.
thanks

Last edited by sillysuperdog; 09-10-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #7 
Laki

Nitrates being so high with the presence of live plants seems way out of proportion to me. I read about nitrates needing to stay below 10. Now, don't quote me on this since I'm the only fish hobbyist in the world without a test kit but I do a lot of reading.
I would do more regular small water changes OR test the tap water to make sure that's not your problem. Live plants should be consuming nitrates.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #8 
sillysuperdog

Hi,

I tested the water before I changed his water today. Nitrates finally dropped to 0ppm.
I guess the new plants are getting better established; lots of new growth lately.
So all is in balance, but I want to know will his tail grow back?

Thanks guys!

Name:  tank.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  69.6 KB
Old 09-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #9 
Laki

Yes. With regular changes and a good protein rich diet his tail will mend itself. He might have to bite at it a bit but it should not be a tremendous problem. Now that the nitrates are cleared up you should be noticing clear tail regrowth or slight changes in the shape within a couple days.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #10 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Nitrates being so high with the presence of live plants seems way out of proportion to me. I read about nitrates needing to stay below 10. Now, don't quote me on this since I'm the only fish hobbyist in the world without a test kit but I do a lot of reading.
I would do more regular small water changes OR test the tap water to make sure that's not your problem. Live plants should be consuming nitrates.
I've heard 20 or under is fine. But don't quote me either. Anyway this is irrelevant because OP's nitrates are 0 now lol...But I just wanted to add my 2 cents.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote