Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2009, 12:22 PM   #1 
Blue Eternity

Aquarium Salt! :]

A few days ago I picked up some aquarium salt and last night I did 100% changes and a full clean out for both my tanks. It did wonders for my two Walmart rescue boys!

I have a VT (Mr. Big) who has been having some fin trouble... He had cramped up and stiff fins but was not in a cold tank. And he somehow got a small split in his fin.

I also have a CT (still needs a name!) who I got a few days ago. He refused to eat anything I gave him but bloodworms and wouldn't make a bubble nest.

I added some aquarium salt to both thier tanks after I did a full cleanout of them (Mr. Big also got some meds in his) and the next morning, Mr. Big's fins were muuuuch more relaxed and he was contently swimming around his tank! The slit is also starting to heal which is very good. Best thing though: I woke up to a bubble nest in my CT's tank! My first bubble nest :]. And he would eat pellets this morning.

Its okay to add aquarium salt all the time to tanks right? It really seemed to help my boys.
Blue Eternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:26 PM   #2 
neenjar

I add a pinch with every water change! Betta's natural habitat water is bordering on brackish, they are very salt tolerant. I would add more than I do, but I have plants that are not very salt tolerant.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:32 PM   #3 
Blue Eternity

Alright, awesome! I'll be sure to add some every change. I don't have any live plants (my sister had them in her bettas tanks, and they never lived very long lol), I only use fake ones. :P
Blue Eternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:34 PM   #4 
Krys

You should looks at the instructions on the container. I don't usually use aquarium salt. I use non-iodineized salt. Seems to be great for them.
Krys is offline   Reply With Quote