Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #1 
Flynn

Question Cycling question?

I started off my 10g cycle with a raw shrimp and the ammonia was at about a steady 3-4ppm and a bacteria bloom occurred. I discarded the shrimp since I saw fungus growing on it, added one dose of PimaFix, and added some pure ammonia. I added too much since the next day ammonia readings were >8ppm. about 2 weeks later and the ammonia is still anywhere between 5-10ppm, it's impossible for me to tell since the green color is pretty different. I also added some live plants in hopes of increasing cycling time. All in all its been about 2-3 weeks and ammonia is still at 5-0ppm nitrites 2-5ppm and nitrates 0. should I just let it sit or is there anything else I can do to help? thanks for all the help!
Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #2 
marshallsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
I started off my 10g cycle with a raw shrimp and the ammonia was at about a steady 3-4ppm and a bacteria bloom occurred. I discarded the shrimp since I saw fungus growing on it, added one dose of PimaFix, and added some pure ammonia. I added too much since the next day ammonia readings were >8ppm. about 2 weeks later and the ammonia is still anywhere between 5-10ppm, it's impossible for me to tell since the green color is pretty different. I also added some live plants in hopes of increasing cycling time. All in all its been about 2-3 weeks and ammonia is still at 5-0ppm nitrites 2-5ppm and nitrates 0. should I just let it sit or is there anything else I can do to help? thanks for all the help!
Too much ammonia can kill the bacteria, I don't know how much is too much but if it was progressing at 3-4ppm ,I would change part of the water and try to get ammonia down to 3-4 again. How are the plants doing?
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:30 PM   #3 
Blue Fish

+1 to Marshall. :) I had this same problem the first time I tried to fishless cycle, I thought more ammonia=faster cycle...but it doesn't work that way. :)

I've read to keep it at about 5, or just under, and that's the best measurement until you start seeing nitrite, then halve the dose. :)

It sounds like your cycle is just taking a long time because of the really high ammonia in the beginning. It's just taking a bit for the nitrite to really be able to eat through all that and get the nitrate going.
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #4 
Flynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallsea View Post
Too much ammonia can kill the bacteria, I don't know how much is too much but if it was progressing at 3-4ppm ,I would change part of the water and try to get ammonia down to 3-4 again. How are the plants doing?
I did ~20% water change a few days ago and the ammonia barely went down so I guess tomorrow I will do the same. I'd assume Stress Coat is okay for conditioning. The plants are doing okay I guess, I asked this in another thread but no answers I have no fertilizer nor am I adding anything to the water for them, should I be doing this to keep them alive? I have: 1 planted Wisteria, 1 floating Water Sprite, 1 Java Fern tied onto a rock.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:08 PM   #5 
marshallsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
I did ~20% water change a few days ago and the ammonia barely went down so I guess tomorrow I will do the same. I'd assume Stress Coat is okay for conditioning. The plants are doing okay I guess, I asked this in another thread but no answers I have no fertilizer nor am I adding anything to the water for them, should I be doing this to keep them alive? I have: 1 planted Wisteria, 1 floating Water Sprite, 1 Java Fern tied onto a rock.
I wouldn't worry about the plants till you cycle , unless they start looking bad. Is Stress Coat a water conditioner?
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:52 AM   #6 
rickey
Banned

Get your ammonia down to around 2 ppm with ammonia levels yhat high even if the tank cycles it will be the wrong bacterial colonies for an aquarium these levels are more along the lines of what a sewer treatment plant would be and the Bactria are a different

Rick
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Yeah, Marsh, they call Stresscoat a wter conditioner, but it doesn't ionize ammonia or chelate heavy metals like Prime or Amquel.

Lot of savvy people on this thread with a lot of great advice.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #8 
Flynn

did a water change and ammonia is sitting around 4ppm, lets see how it goes from here!
Old 09-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #9 
Flynn

Wow, so 2 days later and my ammonia went down, nitrites are spiking, and nitrates finally showed up!! Thank you guys very much, I'll keep feeding it ammonia until ammonia and nitrites are 0.