Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2009, 05:16 PM   #1 
ltshinthebetta

Betta Fish as prizes?

I was just at the county fair when I walked by the games and noticed that they were giving away betta fish as prizes?
How mean is that? Probably 90% of the kids who take them home have no where to put them and they end up dying.
I wanted to take one home, one of my betta's recently passed away and I have a tank empty, but my mom wouldnt let me.

Opinions?
ltshinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:27 PM   #2 
Ajsim

Well, unfair of coarse! But it's just as unfair as giving away gold fish as a price, or guppy's or every other pet... A lot of people that win a prize like this often don't know how to take care of the animal so it dies... why do they have prices like this on a county fair?
Ajsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:31 PM   #3 
neenjar

I think it is a horrible thing to do at a county fair. There are times where it would be acceptable like at a local aquarium club raffle or something of that nature, but county fairs, school events and such are just not humane.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:41 PM   #4 
dr2b

Those poor bettas. I wish people would quit doing that. It's so cruel to send the bettas home with people who don't know how to take care of them (and probably don't care how).
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:40 PM   #5 
5green

that reminds me of a little story once when i was a little girl and went to a fair they where giving away baby chicks as prizes and when we brought him home he just kept on chirping all night and in the morning when i woke up he was dead because we werent planning on getting a pet so we werent prepared and did not even reasearch i still remember that little bird today
5green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:55 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

A few months ago: Friend got fish at fair. Put a GOLDFISH in a vase. Didn't have water conditioner. Fish died. That's also the steps of what happens when these fish are taken home with people who don't know how to care for them.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:06 PM   #7 
AngelicScars

It's terrible. At the absolute minimum they could at least send the fish home with a care sheet!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:06 PM   #8 
Krys

I wish my town had fairs.... i would win all the animals and give them good homes.
Krys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:29 PM   #9 
ltshinthebetta

^Thats what I wanted to do, I wanted to see if I could win one so I could give it a good home.
My mom wouldnt let me though. =(
Those poor fish.
ltshinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:29 AM   #10 
Blue Eternity

I think its horrible :[ I wish I could take them all home. I've seen RABBITS as prizes. Its so, so sad.

On another note, my town is having a county fair this week too! Where do you live?
Blue Eternity is offline   Reply With Quote