Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2013, 12:26 AM   #11 
Mitra

That's a good idea actually on finding a goldfish or koi pond, I will ask around. I've had a chance of heart actually. The small white/orange goldfish just follows the big orange one around and they are so attached its ridiculous. If i brought them back to my LPS (local business) they most likely wouldn't be sold together. But in a pond they would.

So my question: If I don't find a pond, would a 50 gallon tank work if it already has 3 common goldfish in (the one i linked). I heard that one goldfish should have 20 gallons, and 10 gallons for each additional fish. So that would mean i'm over the bioload by 10 gallons (a lot better then 2 goldfish in a 10 gallon). And of course the pleco in it and two amano shrimps. If this works, should I donate the 3 neon terta's because the bioload is too great, or should i buy 3 more tetras so they are in a school. Sorry for the questions but I don't know what to do!

If 60 gallons worth of goldfish won't work in 50, will using a HOB filter and biggest sponge filter i can find work (double filter)
Mitra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:29 AM   #12 
Mitra

Oh yeah and this is my pleco, sorry it's the only pic I have here.
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2013, 12:53 AM   #13 
shannonpwns

It looks like it may be a regular pleco. But I can't be sure with that pic. Doesn't look like a bristlenose though. Plecos are tropical fish btw, and prefer water at 72-80F. But they can survive in temps as low as 55, anything lower than that and they will die. So it should be fine in an indoor tank at room temp.

I guess it's really up to you if you want to have 5 goldfish in a 55 gal. IMO that's a lot of money to spend just for some common goldfish lol. 5 goldfish and a pleco in a 55 definitely won't work once they all reach full size. I have 3 goldfish, 3 koi and 2 plecos in a 1200 gallon pond, and they are MESSY. Especially the plecos.

Where are you from?
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:57 AM   #14 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonpwns View Post
IMO that's a lot of money to spend just for some common goldfish lol.
Just because it is a "common" goldfish, doesn't mean that it is less important than any other living thing.

I do agree that a 55 gal wouldn't be big enough for a common pleco and 5 goldfish unless you're willing to do the heavy filtration and water changes that would be necessary to keep them healthy. If I remember correctly, it's suggested to have 45-50 gallons for one, and another 15 for anything past one fish. I know it may sound somewhat tacky (I'm country folk, we invented "tacky but functional"), but what about a stock tank (water troughs for livestock), they come in 100+ gallon sizes for less than an aquarium would cost, and if you had the room for a neat little indoor pond, it'd be pretty awesome!

Also, depending on the breeds of the other goldfish, that pleco could be even worse. If the 3 that come with the tank are fancies, they tend to be slower moving than the commons or comets, and I've had a pleco attack a fancy and almost take out its eye (back before I knew that this is a common issue).

Best of luck with your fish!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #15 
shannonpwns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
Just because it is a "common" goldfish, doesn't mean that it is less important than any other living thing.
I knew someone was gonna get upset over that. Really though? If you got a couple of 10c fish for free, you'd go out and spend $300+ just to house it? Sorry, but I wouldn't, and that's my opinion...

We didn't spend thousands of dollars on a pond just to put some feeder goldfish in it. Mine are just the ones my turtle wouldn't eat and got too big for his tank after 2 years, so they went in with the koi.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #16 
LadyVictorian

A bit offended, my goldies were meant to be nothing but feeders and though they were all of 75 cents each I went out and spent over $300 on them because they are worth it. That thinking is the reason there is so much abuse to fish in the first place. That same thinking is why people keep betta fish in tanks under .5gallons, do you think that is okay as well?
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #17 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

No pet is a cheap pet. A $20 iguana will cost you a lot of money (and a ton of space since they need custom enclosures). An animal's price shouldn't warrant how much effort or money it is worth. The same way you bond to your $5 betta someone can bond to their 10cent goldfish, and people tend to want the best for animals in their care (well I'm assuming people on this forum!) Who cares what the animal cost? As said in the famous book, The Little Prince, it's the time that you spend with something that makes it unlike all the others in the world. :3

Do you have a lot of room? Google metal/plastic horse troughs. These are fairly priced, you can find them in farm stores, and they make great ponds that require no digging at all. I think they look pretty awesome too, myself.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #18 
LadyVictorian

that is what my new pond is, my other one was only 45 gallons so we got a horse trough and put it next to our barn. It actually looks pretty cool and animals can't get into it as easily as before my dug in pond my fish were being eaten by racoons.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #19 
shannonpwns

I'm not going to get into an argument over some goldfish. I simply stated that it was my opinion...which I am entitled to. Never once did I say anything about keeping any fish in a tank too small for them to thrive in. In fact, I said the opposite and suggested rehoming because the tank they are considering (55 gals) comes with 3 more goldfish. We're talking about 5 fish that grow up to 12 inches, and a pleco that grows 24 inches. In a tank that is 12 inches wide. So yes, I stand by what I said that the tank is too small and the best scenario is for these fish to be rehomed.

I DO like goldfish, and that is why I'm an advocate of them living in ponds, and not aquariums. I take offense to YOU associating me with fish abuse.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:38 PM   #20 
Mitra

Unfortunately I live in a town in Northern Canada and cannot find someone with a koi/goldfish pond ( i know someone had one when i was younger though so it is possible). A pond would be the best home for them, but I received a piece of good news today. Someone i know is going to donate a 40 gallon tank to me. So that would mean i have 30 gallons of goldfish (2 goldfish) and a pleco in the 40 gallons. With very heavy filtration, could i also add the two amano shrimp and 3-6 neon tetras (or more for a bigger school). I know goldfish are coldwater, and tetras tropical, but would 72 be a good temp for both of them? And this will only be the plecos temporary home until he gets bigger. Could this work, last question i promise! Thank you everyone