Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2013, 12:22 AM   #1 
lottieBendie

When ever my fish eats, some come out his gills?

When ever I feed my fish ribbon, some shreds of the pellets come out of his gills! Is there something wrong with the gill, and can this be fixed?

I feed him 4 pellets a day, and he is a healthy fish, from what I have seen.

I have owned him for a year.
lottieBendie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:42 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

I'm not sure whether it's a cause for worry, fish like corys gobble up sand and release it out again through their gills. the mouth and the gill are connected (kind of like our mouths and our noses)... is he blowing everything out or just some portions of his food?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #3 
lottieBendie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
I'm not sure whether it's a cause for worry, fish like corys gobble up sand and release it out again through their gills. the mouth and the gill are connected (kind of like our mouths and our noses)... is he blowing everything out or just some portions of his food?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Just some particles and shreds. Thank you!
Old 09-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah my fish do that and when they do I know they've usually had enough to eat. What kind of pellets are you feeding him?
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #5 
lottieBendie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Yeah my fish do that and when they do I know they've usually had enough to eat. What kind of pellets are you feeding him?
Aqueon betta food. Thanks for replying, it means a lot!
Old 09-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ah okay, I know it also happens sometimes when the food is too big as well and they push the excess out. I'm not sure if that's WHY they do it, but it's just what I've observed.

Aqueon Betta food is not healthy food at all. If you want him to really get healthy and happy you should try to find New Life Spectrum Betta or Small Fish Formula and/or Omega One. Both of those foods are very high quality (but won't break your bank) and sooooo good for them! One way to tell is look at the first three ingredients of your food. Look for things called fillers which consist of Wheat, Corn and Soybean. Those are fillers and things your Betta can't digest well or at all.

Omega One has no fillers in it's first three ingredients, making it one of the best foods to give. New Life Spectrum easily ties or places second to Omega, it does have one filler but makes up for it in the fact that it also has spirulina and garlic. Garlic is a natural anti-parasitic food and Betta's absolutely love it! Not saying that this is some magic to make your fish never get internal parasites but it aides in preventing it for sure!

So those are just some things you can get to further help your fish and I guarantee that you will see an amazing difference when he starts eating this food after a while! He'll color up, most likely be more active and so on! NLS is also a much smaller pellet which will be easier for him to eat and digest!
Old 09-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #7 
808bettalover

im so happy that my fish bred
808bettalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808bettalover View Post
im so happy that my fish bred
I'm slightly confused as to why you've posted this here? It doesn't have anything to do with the thread here.

If you want to post a new thread you have to go to the main page, click on a section and at the top left I believe there is a little button that says: +new thread, click that and type away ^_^ make sure it's in the right section though!
Old 09-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #9 
lottieBendie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
I'm slightly confused as to why you've posted this here? It doesn't have anything to do with the thread here.

If you want to post a new thread you have to go to the main page, click on a section and at the top left I believe there is a little button that says: +new thread, click that and type away ^_^ make sure it's in the right section though!
She's my Breeding partner.

Tags
food, gills, pellets