Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2009, 12:29 AM   #1 
AngelicScars

Question A few algae questions

Alright, I have algae building up in my 10 gallon with Gabriel and 3 Otos. This is the only tank that has that happen. It is the brown algae that the Otos eat.
Anyway, I was wondering do I need to clean the extra build up out? Leave it in for the Otos? Should I keep supplementing with zucchini every other day?

Any advice would be great!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:31 AM   #2 
neenjar

Stop supplementing if there is visible algae. The supplement is so they do not starve, if you have visible brown algae they will not starve ;)

I'd not give any zucchini until the algea is gone, then only one or twice a week. Not only do otto's eat algae, they feed off the micro organism film that covers items in a tank.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:06 PM   #3 
Starbright

Quote:
Originally Posted by neenjar View Post
I'd not give any zucchini until the algea is gone, then only one or twice a week. Not only do otto's eat algae, they feed off the micro organism film that covers items in a tank.

Really?? I didn't know that! I was always wondering what that slimy stuff was every time I would do a water change and how to get rid of it.
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:40 PM   #4 
Ajsim

If the brown algea grows on the plants as well as the bottom of the tank it usually indicates that the tank could need a bit more light... If the oto's are eating the brown algea I wouldn't supplement feed them anymore...

I didn't know that oto's eat the micro organisms or bacterial film in a tank, but if they do, great!
Ajsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:31 PM   #5 
neenjar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajsim View Post
I didn't know that oto's eat the micro organisms or bacterial film in a tank, but if they do, great!
I ran a test tank a few years back with 6 healthy otto's I had for over a year. I cycled a 10 gallon and threw them in with a piece of drift wood, some gravel and 1 anubias coffeeola. the dirft wood was covered in a leeched white film when I put it in.

I never fed them, and performed weekly 25% water changes. I added 1 drop of fertilizer per water change for the plant. I kept the tank running that way for 6 months and the otto's bellies were always that nice rounded full. Within a day the white film on the drift wood was gone and never came back. At the end of 6 months I broke the tank down and put them back in my 55 planted.

Now before you jump on me about not feeding the fish, I did check on them daily. Had their bellies ever been anything but full I would have fed them, but they never needed it. It may have been the wood leeched enough food for them, but the would be on the glass, gravel, anubias, and filter inlet their little sucker mouths constantly working!

Otto's are a catfish at their roots and will eat whatever they can find that is edible to them ;)
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:09 PM   #6 
AngelicScars

Thanks for the advice. The algae is only on a couple of plants and it isn't on the bottom. I leave the light on in the tank for about 7.5 hours plus it is next to a window with blinds, so I think they have enough light. Like I said, it has only grown in that one tank. Fortunately, the brown algae is what they eat!
I guess they will be eating well for awhile! :)
Old 08-01-2009, 03:01 PM   #7 
Jazattackk

I never feed my algea eater, even after I clean the tank. Even though I sometimes can't see any algea, he's always still on the sides or bottom eating.
Jazattackk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:27 PM   #8 
AngelicScars

I supplement because my tank is uncycled and I keep it rather clean.