Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2009, 09:36 AM   #1 
LappyGreen

she just lays there

so my little Green (female) was swimming pretty in her 2.5 gallon tank after eating the male also in there. She's been doing fine for about a week and a half without him. she was playful and coming up to me, following my finger, swimming all over.

yesterday, a friend of mine was over and randomly Green started hiding in the cave or laying on the bottom. we did a water change yesterday because it was about time and my friend was helping me use the new gravel vacuum thingy (i never used one before). we put her back in and i gave her some bloodworms to eat, but she stayed relatively hidden.

today i woke up and went to see and she was in the cave for well over an hour. i moved it to make sure she was alive and she swam over to me but then just layed on the gravel between the cave and plant.

she has no spots. the water is consistently between 75-85 degrees. her fins are growing back lovely since the male is gone. she seems a little fatter, but not majorly.

any ideas?
LappyGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:49 PM   #2 
AngelicScars

Okay, first HUGE mistake was putting a male in with a female. You should never put bettas with other bettas unless you are breeding or making a sorority (both are difficult).
The next mistake, putting two fish in a 2.5 gallon tank. That is only big enough for one fish.
She could just be constipated since she ate an entire fish. I would fast her for a week.
What is the temp at in your tank? What water conditioner are you using?
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:28 PM   #3 
Jazattackk

What Angelicscars said.
Jazattackk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:25 PM   #4 
Vikki81207

Yeah. Angelicscars said it all right.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:29 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with AngelicScars, also.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #6 
LappyGreen

ok yeah. we've been over this dual fish situation-petsmart and petco suck. i have learned.

and she didn't eat the entire fish. she ate off his fins and who knows what else, but he was still pretty much in tact floating in the tank.

the tank is always between 75 and 80 degrees. i went with the constipation idea and haven't fed her today. she still stayed in the cave. anytime i moved it-she startled as if she was sleeping.

i turned the tank light off tonight (as normal around 9pm. it goes on around 8am when i wake up) and she came out and started swimming all around.

she baffles me
Old 08-02-2009, 11:16 PM   #7 
AngelicScars

Sounds like you are doing all you can for her. I would fast her for another day or two and see how it goes. She might still be skittish from fighting the male. I would give her time and try not to startle her too much.

I have one female that was startled by me running into the piece of furniture her tank was sitting on. I felt terrible and she wouldn't eat for a day. After about 2 days she was back to her perky self.
Good luck!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:49 AM   #8 
KP0707

heres and idea turn the light on in 10 in the morning and close and 10 at night it might help abit more
light should be on about 10-12 hours
KP0707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:42 PM   #9 
LappyGreen

you guys are helping. i haven't fed her (ok this morning i felt bad and put one piece of food in but she avoided it all day.

i just got home and her fins look horrible and she looks like a cat who's about to attack (think of their hair all spikey). she has no marks on her though so i'm so confused as to what it could be.

i last changed the water on sat. i put the conditioner that came with it in that day. i used a gallon of bottled water (what she's been in), a pretty good amount of old water and a little tap water. i put the conditioner in and let the filter run for a bit before i put her in. she was okay for quite a while-could it be from the water? or something else?
Old 08-04-2009, 08:20 PM   #10 
LappyGreen

Green has died. =(