Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2013, 11:50 PM   #1 
xShainax

I give up

I lost two betta's tonight due to my depression being so bad and making me not wanting to do anything. I feel horrible that my body hates me enough to make me not want to take care of my fin babies. :'(
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:21 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry you're going through a rough time right now. I know how you feel. I have trouble myself getting up the energy and motivation to do water changes. I guess you've got to make the most out of the days you feel better and do the best you can on the bad days.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:07 AM   #3 
Aquatail

I'm sorry about your bettas. I know it probably won't help much, I know it didn't for me, but I just wanted to say that I've been where you are with depression, and it does get better. You are not alone. :)
Aquatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #4 
bloo97

You ain't alone, my friend. Depression is a hell I used to (and to a degree still do) deal with on a daily basis. But don't give up any. Look, I know anyone dealing with depression has heard that a million times and you'll hear it a million more, but believe me when I tell you it's true. Life is tough, heavy, and sometimes seemingly hopeless. But it's never impossible. Things happen and when they do, whether it's your body causing it or an external cause, it will drag you down.
I always found the best thing to do is to get up. Take a walk. No goals, no plan, just walking. Walk through nature and enjoy God's earth. In the words of Rodney Atkins, "If you're going through hell, keep on going" because you will get out. Just like how the sun comes up after a long night, no matter how long it takes, it will come up. You will see that sun and you will feel that good warmth again.
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:20 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

I had it BAD when I lived in Alaska due to the lack of sunlight in wintertime. Its called seasonal affective disorder because it only occurs during the wintertime. They sell these special lights to help the body produce whatever the sun normally produces for your body (vitamin D? I think) but they never worked for me
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:22 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

I had it BAD when I lived in Alaska due to the lack of sunlight in wintertime. Its called seasonal affective disorder because it only occurs during the wintertime. They sell these special lights to help the body produce whatever the sun normally produces for your body (vitamin D? I think) but they never worked for me.

This normally only affects people who live in the far north (alaska, russia, scandanavia,) but it can also effect people who live in the northern USA as well.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:36 AM   #7 
JustinieBeanie

I too know how you feel, and it seems everyone here wants you to know that you are not alone and that you WILL have better days.
I have depression, mostly due to debilitating chronic fatigue and other life altering symptoms from an autoimmune disease and possibly other conditions as well. It was so bad that even though I am supposed to see a rhuematologist regularly, I gave up on going to any doctors for a long time, because most never helped me with treatment for my symptoms or didnt order the needed tests correctly. but recently I've been to three new doctors and two of them seem like they are really going to help, they are the most thorough doctors I've ever had so for the first time in a long time I feel new hope that I will receive any additional diagnosis correctly and will get treatment. So just hang in there, it's not always easy, but you are never alone in the struggle and there are better times on the horizon for us all. :)

If you haven't already I would also recommend visiting a doctor to rule out the possibility of any underlying health issues that could be causing depression symptoms, such as a Vitamin D or other vitamin or mineral deficiency/excess, a problem with hormones (like thyroid or adrenal hormones, among others) a sleep disorder etc. Recently I found my vitamin d was low and I've found daily supplementation (as directed by my doctor, of course) and using my "special sun lamp thing" as I call it have helped quite a bit. If other "physical" problems are ruled out then perhaps you might find seeing a therapist and/or a psychiatrist, and/or finding a local or even online support group might help. Good luck!
JustinieBeanie is offline   Reply With Quote