Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2009, 10:51 PM   #21 
Vikki81207

I would do salt baths. They should be fine. Almost all bettas are. This is what I do. I went out and bought a gallon of water from walmart (I actually have 5 to do water changes). When you get home dump the water out of the jug and fill it back up. Then put in some conditioner and 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt. Let sit for a while to let the salt dissolve. Then I use the cups that they came in and fill it 1/2 with the salt bath water. Let sit for about 5-10 minutes (I say 5 minutes the first couple times) then put tank water in to fill the cup up. Let them sit for about 15 minutes, then take them out and put them back in their tank. Do it as much as you can every day. About 5 times per day if possible. You'll probably need meds though.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:35 PM   #22 
puppyrjjkm

man, i haven't been able to get to walmart. but their fins weren't getting any worse. unfortunately merlin found his way through the divider and beat up sinbad.. i'm not sure he's going to make it :(
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:39 PM   #23 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about Sinbad! I hope he makes it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:24 AM   #24 
Vikki81207

I'm sorry about Sinbad.
wanna hear something funny though?
I have a boy named Merlin & the other day he made it over 2 dividers to Fishy's side and tore him up a bit. Not bad though. Just thought it was funny how both of our fishy bullys names are Merlin.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:39 AM   #25 
rb500

sorry about sinbad, he should be ok, although i dont know how bad off he is.... we're all rooting for you
rb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #26 
puppyrjjkm

Thanks guys, haha yeah bad merlins! Well last night he just laid on the bottom not really moving, but this morning he didn't eat, but still flared up to Merlin acting all tough. I'm going to get aquarium salt today give him at least 3 baths... is this okay even though some of his scales are gone? And I'm going to try and buy a seperate 5 gallon for him while he's sick, and attempt to fix the divider. I have plants between the divider and the glass which worked last time... any ideas?
Old 08-08-2009, 06:41 PM   #27 
rb500

maybe he jumped? i would put a cap on the divider
rb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #28 
BakaMandy

I would invest into silk plants or real plants :S

Those plastic plants might be tearing their fins. Especially Merlin, the way his caudal tail is split looks a lot like my Shota when his plants tore his fins...

I also suggest treating them in separate hospital tanks. Water changes are easier to do more frequently and treatment progresses much quicker.

And maybe even sterilize your tank, like boil your gravel and maybe scrub the inside of your tank with really hot water and such as a precaution. D: I've learned that fin rot can be very nasty and if it's bacterial fin rot, it can come back and even more aggressively than before, so it's best to try and eliminate any thing that can possibly contribute to it returning.

Fin Rot is a nasty nasty thing :S
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:48 PM   #29 
puppyrjjkm

Yeah so Sinbad is eating like a normal fishy finally! The Jungle Clear is helping a little, but I think I'll pick up some elminator this week and treat both boys. thanks
Old 08-09-2009, 02:01 PM   #30 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad to hear that Sinbad is doing better!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote