Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2009, 11:48 AM   #1 
Elena

Betta stressed in 30 gal planted?

Hi everybody.
I am relatively new to bettas but have kept tropical fish for years. I got tricked into getting a betta fish for my daughter (4 yr old- wanted a hermit crab, mommy not so excited :) He is in a 2 gal container to which I am planning to adding a heater as soon as temperatures drop around here- but that's another thread. My second betta is in our community planted 30 gal tank- with female guppies and harlequin rasboras. No problem with tank mates so far. We only had the second betta for three days. To be quite honest, I fell in love with this particular betta at the store and thought that he could live in the community tank. After all I read, I thought that would be OK. He should in theory be doing much better than the one in the 2 gal, right? Wrong. That fish is stressed to the point that colors fade and I can see the horizontal stress lines. He hides all the time and looks miserable. He won't come up for feedings. I watched him and besides some flaring at the back at the tank (towards his reflection) I did not see anything that might be causing this. Water parameters are all normal. I do a 50-60% water change every week so that should not be a problem. The tank is over two years old and fully cycled. Lots of plants and hiding places.
Any ideas as to what might be wrong? I am almost to the point where I am thinking about putting him in a 2 gal just to see how he'd fare. The other betta is quite happy and active in his.
Thanks for reading and sorry for rambling.
Elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:11 PM   #2 
5green

he is probably scared in such a big tank change him two the smaller tank and do complete water changes every week if he does not get better within 3 weeks go to your local pet store and get a betta fish stress coat
but remember MEDICINE IS THE LAST RESORT
5green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #3 
5green

oh and welcome to bettafish.com
5green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:14 PM   #4 
doggyhog

Some Bettas like big tanks, some don't. Your new one is probably just really overwhelmed. Imagine, going from a small cup, to a large tank with a bunch of other fish. It would be very stressful. If he doesn't relax soon, I would get him his own two gallon.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:47 PM   #5 
Elena

Thank you both for replying. I will give him a couple more days to adjust. The two gallon I am thinking about would be unfiltered and I am reluctant to do that. Although the other betta (Isabella- male betta named by my daughter lol) seems to be doing great in his. For him I am doing 100% water changes twice a week with 1 teaspoon of salt. I am looking into getting a small corner filter but that's not going to happen for a while. Is this OK long term? As long as I am keeping up with the water change schedule of course.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:54 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would put him in his own tank. Bettas are solitary fish and really do better on their own. Welcome to FishForum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #7 
AngelicScars

2 gallons are fine unfiltered. I have a 2 gallon bowl for one of mine (he didn't like any larger spaces) and I do a full water change once a week and I do add a little salt to his bowl.
I hope that helps!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:45 PM   #8 
Vikki81207

Yeah I have the two gallon bowl that is unfiltered and it's okay. You just have to keep up with water changes. Like they said, he's most likely overwhelmed.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:58 PM   #9 
Elena

Thank you all for your help. He is going into his 2 gal tonight. Can't stand to see him looking so miserable anymore...
Old 08-01-2009, 02:52 PM   #10 
Jazattackk

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggyhog View Post
Some Bettas like big tanks, some don't. Your new one is probably just really overwhelmed. Imagine, going from a small cup, to a large tank with a bunch of other fish. It would be very stressful. If he doesn't relax soon, I would get him his own two gallon.
I agree. He lived in a small cup all his life, and now a 30 gallon. Give him a week, then start worrying.
Jazattackk is offline   Reply With Quote