Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #11 
LittleBettaFish

Most of the shows here in Australia you can show bettas you have purchased because they are not IBC sanctioned shows.

I think it really depends on the rules of the show holders.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:50 AM   #12 
bambijarvis

It depends on the rules/who's sponsoring the show, yes.
But I would assume it's still frowned upon as the buyer put zero work into the fish.
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #13 
Basement Bettas

There are currently people buying fish from AB and showing them as a team entry and they are making the breeders mad.I'm sure there will be a lot of discussion about this before year end and some things changed in the next season. There is growing resentment towards people that think they can buy a placing and keep the points from those that actually bred and raised their fish. It is not what t he showing system was set up for. You want to show, you need to do the work.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #14 
LittleBettaFish

I think a pair of fish I bred were shown recently as a team entry. I was sort of on the fence about it, because all the new owners have had to do is keep the fish alive and in adequate condition for a few months. I can definitely see where the breeders would be getting mad.

Since I have absolutely zero interest in ever showing, I am happy to have my fish out there. But at the same time I hope as the breeder, I am getting recognition for my efforts. It takes a lot to raise wild bettas. Some of my species don't mature for 8-12 months and that's 8-12 months of blood, sweat and tears on my behalf.

We show dogs in conformation and while we look after and fit up our dogs for the show season, it is still the breeder who ultimately should take credit for producing the dog.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #15 
Aluka

I wonder what happens if a casual breeder, bred a beautiful show worthy fish but doesn't have the time to go to a show, and wants to send the fish to someone else to take it to a show?

Cause if somehow i accidentally bred a show worthy fish, i would never have the time to actually go to a show. But i wont mind if a friend of mine take it and enter a show for me. I wouldn't care of points, just want people to see the fish.
Aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:41 PM   #16 
Basement Bettas

It is not about people seeing the fish. It is being measured against a standard and the fish there that day. You want people to see your fish .. post a pic in this forum. More exposure than at a show.

And breeding show fish takes work. Doubt one is just going to happen in your fish room. Breeders actually plan breedings and we do not always win. We change water often daily.. watch foods and nutrition. Seriously doubt some casual breeder is going to produce a champ. specially when you do not know what you are breeding for.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:10 AM   #17 
Aluka

I think you underestimate the casual breeder. While I dont know all the standards that showing a fish requires, i do do daily or twice daily water changes for my bettas, and i do pay attention to both food and nutrition. Standards I can learn.

So I find it hard to believe that if i continue breeding towards the standard and breeding in fish to compliment my own line, that years from now I will not be able to breed a single show quality fish.

Its not about exposure, its about knowing that i bred a fish that qualify to be in a show. It doesn't have to win, but just being good enough to enter, i feel like will be a great accomplishment.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:44 AM   #18 
LittleBettaFish

Oops wrong thread entirely!
Old 09-30-2013, 12:46 AM   #19 
Basement Bettas

If you are doing that you are not a casual breeder. IF you are breeding to the standard you have direction.. it is not casual. There is a difference. I can understand from where you are talking the idea of team makes sense. For that it would be good to team up with one person that will show the fish so you have consistency and your fish get out there. Then you get credibility as a breeder. I thought you were talking about just putting 2 fish in together and producing a champion.. sorry.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:18 AM   #20 
Aluka

lol, maybe because I count casual fish keeping as any form of fish keeping that is not done as a business or full time job =<...

I consider myself a casual fishkeeper, but then i also have 17 tanks....or 19 cause i just brought a chi and another small tank =<....