Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2009, 07:02 AM   #1 
Miss Em

Unhappy I think he is dying..HELP!

Hey again all..

Im so sorry to bug you again but Im freaking out about Scarlet!!

He seems to be just floating in this one corner of his tank,or down the bottom and he seems to be finding it hard to breathe. I dont know what to do.

Ive been putting salt in his water as he has a few white spots, I tried bettafix (which he didnt like and I took out) and Ive been doing frequent full water changes..

His water is at a fairly constant temp.

Is he dying?

HELP!
Miss Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:42 AM   #2 
neenjar

White spots? Do they look like salt crystals? If so it is Ich and you need Ich medication.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:52 AM   #3 
Miss Em

Hmm..no Neenjar...they dont look like salt crystals....they are just white spots...1mm or so..Im not sure what to do or what they are!

Should I be worried about his floating at the top though?

He seems happy when I go over to him, but just floats at the top after I leave.

HELP!
Old 08-03-2009, 08:37 AM   #4 
TianTian

Weird, Tian-Tian has the exact same symptoms! :o

Except I know it's ich.

I took all of the marbles out of his tank (with the exception of a few large ones that I washed thoroughly in hot water). The bacteria of ich live and reproduce in the gravel. Here's a visual:

I'd suggest removing the gravel for now.
TianTian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:47 AM   #5 
Crowntail Queen

I agree, both, with neenjar and tiantian. It is def. ich and i would take everything out of the tank and boil it or at least wash it i very hot water. Also, gradually raise the temp of your tank because ich can not live in water that is over 86 degrees. But do not go past 86 degrees. Also, some fish are very sensitive to medications thats why sometimes its best to raise the temp of your water and change it everyday instead of adding meds. But give the med a try and make sure you clean the tank everyday still as the ich will fall off of him.
Crowntail Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:25 AM   #6 
Vikki81207

I still suggest Wardleys Ich meds or Jungles Ich meds. Wardley has worked great for me. What I'm doing is this:
I got the Wardleys then I took Fishy out of his tank and put him in a salt bath. After the whole salt bath routine I added 2 drops of the meds into the cup. Then I put him in another cup with regular water.
While he's in his cup, I put the net and the other cup in his tank then super overdosed the tank. It says 20 drops for 2 gallons and I put about 50 drops and stirred it all up. Shortly, I'm going to boil the stuff and hope everything is okay now. I don't want to use too much meds because I'll be using JFE on him in a couple days. But I think the overdosing the tank may work right then boiling everything. What do you guys think?
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:42 PM   #7 
Crowntail Queen

I think overdosing the tank without the betta in it of course wouldnt be a bad idea, and then boiling everthing just to make sure should def. take care of that nasy stuff that could be in there. As for the fish, the salt bath is a + in my book haha. Don't you guys just had parasites? The make me soo mad.
Crowntail Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:10 AM   #8 
Miss Em

Thanks for all your help everyone..Im going to get all his stuff out and give it a really good clean.

Keep your fingers crossed for my little guy!:D

PS. I agree crowntail queen..parasites are horrible, evil little things!grrrrr...
Old 08-04-2009, 03:27 AM   #9 
dr2b

Good luck Miss Em! I hope all turns out well for you and Scarlett.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:11 AM   #10 
bubs128

It could be some parasites that is making him weak. I would get some Ich medication though. See if that helps. Try putting him in a small container. Put conditioner in and make sure the temperature is the same as the tank. Put him in there and then put the salt in. Aquarium salt or even Epsom salt will do. Leave him in there a few minutes then return him to the tank. For the rest of the instructions and better said lol, look at how to give a salt bath that neenjar has. Hope this helps. Good luck!!

Last edited by bubs128; 08-04-2009 at 09:14 AM.
bubs128 is offline   Reply With Quote