Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #1 
ashleylyn

I got him, I got him!! My new king!

First and foremost, this home is TEMPORARY. I know it is far too small for a king and he will be moved very soon to a larger tank, but this is what happened..

A couple of weeks ago at a Petco by my college I fell in love with this beautiful turquoise-ish king betta. He was massive and could hardly move around in his cup. It was so incredibly hard to walk away, especially because I have never seen a king these colors before. But I didn't have a tank or money to buy one.

Fast forward to today. I'm getting an old tank back (2.5gal - not ideal but better than what he has been in) and I just found 2 part-time jobs, so he will be getting a 10 gallon in the not-too-distant future. A friend of mine may also have an adequate tank laying around, she's gonna go look for me. Anyway, back to the story! I was at our football game all day (Rutgers won ) and went back to my apartment with my boyfriend. I told him that I kept thinking about this betta and that I was going to head to Petco to see if he was still there. If he was, there was no way I was leaving him to spend more weeks in that cup he couldn't even MOVE in. I walk into Petco, head straight to the bettas, and I saw him right there! Also saw a dead Delta Tail. :( But all in all the bettas are pretty well kept for, except for the fact that this guy could not swim in his cup. So.. I snatched him. He's in a temporary heated 1 gallon with some plastic plants and anacharis, but of course will be getting daily water changes. He's unclamping, already ate frozen bloodworms, and definitely seems to enjoy actually being able to SWIM!

Here are some photos of how beautiful he is. He's still unnamed as of now.. I've only had him a couple of hours. :) I'm just *so* happy I was able to rescue him. And even if his temporary home isn't ideal size-wise, at least I know he's in clean water, being fed well, and can actually use those pretty little fins of his to swim!

ashleylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #2 
grammymary

Oh, he's beautiful! I'm so glad you rescued him and he now has a good, loving home.
grammymary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #3 
ashleylyn

Thank you! I wish I had a larger tank ready for him, but at least now he has a heater and room to actually move around. I really didn't think he'd still be there, but when I saw him there was no way in heck I was letting him stay in that cup any longer! Some of the kings were even bigger than him... they're really starting to grow on me. Maybe someday when I have a huge tank I'll buy a giant from a breeder. :)

Oh! And I forgot to add - he has blue eyes! He's gorgeous. :D
Old 09-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #4 
copperarabian

so cool! His color is beautiful! I miss my old king better, he was my first fish.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #5 
Skuldane

Thats so nice of you. He is very cool. I'm doing a rescue myself this weekend, I will need a bigger tank too, but regardless, I will still be taking better care of him than the current owner. The rescue's top fin seems clamped or something, will that become better with clean water or a bigger tank?
Skuldane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:20 PM   #6 
carrohason

Is he still unnamed? Because I was thinking his name should be either Prince or Jimmi (or both, if you want).
carrohason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #7 
ashleylyn

Good news! One of my old neighbors messaged me on Facebook saying she has two tanks that have just been sitting around taking up space, so she'll be giving them to me. One even has the filter with it, too. Not sure of their size, but I'm not turning away that kind offer! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperarabian View Post
so cool! His color is beautiful! I miss my old king better, he was my first fish.
Thank you, he's special to me. One of those fish I kept thinking about for weeks after I saw him, so when I saw he was still there yesterday... well, the rest is history! You should get another. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuldane View Post
Thats so nice of you. He is very cool. I'm doing a rescue myself this weekend, I will need a bigger tank too, but regardless, I will still be taking better care of him than the current owner. The rescue's top fin seems clamped or something, will that become better with clean water or a bigger tank?
Aw, that's nice of you too! What type are you rescuing? He's still a bit clamped up, but he does relax for periods as well and is thoroughly enjoying his bloodworms.. he doesn't like pellets. He was very clamped in that cup when I saw him two weeks ago and still was yesterday, so I suspect a lot of it is stress-related. He will be getting a bigger tank very shortly though, too, so I'm hoping that will also help. Especially since he hasn't had a heater for weeks too. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrohason View Post
Is he still unnamed? Because I was thinking his name should be either Prince or Jimmi (or both, if you want).
He's still unnamed. I'm a history major so I'm probably going to name him after an emperor or something lol. :)
Old 09-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #8 
Skuldane

Hirohito
Skuldane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #9 
ashleylyn

I'm thinking Hadrian or Neptune. Maybe Poseidon. :p

..Actually, given his pretty blue iridescence and his size, I think Poseidon is the winner!
Old 09-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #10 
helms97

YES ! Poseidon for the win ! i had aboy named poseidon.. my first betta!
helms97 is offline   Reply With Quote