Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2013, 06:23 AM   #1 
thesadseahorse

Thinking about making an NPT?

Hello!

I have this old 40 gal that I'd like to make into an NPT! I've done some research so far, but there is always more to learn and I thougt the people on bettafish.com could help me. ^^

The tank has been abandoned for a while, but today I cleaned it out and got the old gross substrate out and wiped the inside and outside of the tank. It was last used as a saltwater tank a long time ago, it didnt work out so well so we abandoned the idea of it. I believe I'll take it outside tomorrow and hose it out to get any other random junk out of it.

Anyways, for the past few days I've really been interested in having an aquarium full of live plants, and aquascaping.

I have a few questions:

Is there a type of soil that is commonly used and has had good results? I don't really want to use my own soil, I feel like something will go wrong/my soil won't do a good enough job/etc for some reason. Is there a preferred or certain type of soil to use or is it just toss in any ol' soil that doesnt have added chemicals or fertilizers in(if thats the case, I'll probably just use my dirt lol)?

What kind of lighting/bulb would work? The current bulbs in the fixture don't work, but I'm hoping its just the bulbs and I don't have to do any major replacements. Any good brand suggestions/what you use would be great, too. I don't know much about lighting yet.

Plant suggestions? I'd like to get a list of plants to put in the tank and get it all balanced out.

Any oter advice or information you could give me would be awesome as well.
thesadseahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #2 
Stone

miracle grow organic potting mix is the most commonly used, you can use anything that is organic basically, some of the soil ones there will be big ammonia spikes for about a week especially if you do not have enough fast growing stem plants and floaters.
as far as lighting, you need 6500k bulbs , The opne thing I don't know is what kind of fixture you have if its t-8? t-5? but in either case you need 6500k or as close to that as you can get 6700k 7000k will work, then once you got that figured out you need to know how much lighting you have as far as strength and buy plants accordingly low light/ low-mid/ mid-high/high , then there is ferts and co2 but that's a complex and big topic
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #3 
thesadseahorse

I don't know what fixture it is either. Any way of telling? Thanks for the info.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #4 
Stone

how fat the bulbs are is a good way t-5 are pretty skinny
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:57 AM   #5 
thesadseahorse

The bulbs in there are about in between the size of a quarter and a dime, so I'd assume t-8. c:

Name:  20130915_003027.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  27.5 KB

By the way, here's the little hood. Ignore the dirtiness of it, I should wipe that off pretty soon. Instead of one long bulb of two rows of long bulbs, it's two short bulbs side by side, which I find weird but I doubt it'll make too much of a difference.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=4489 Would two of these work? Now I just need to find out how much light that would equal to...
Old 09-16-2013, 01:39 AM   #6 
thesadseahorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesadseahorse View Post
The bulbs in there are about in between the size of a quarter and a dime, so I'd assume t-8. c:

Attachment 208561

By the way, here's the little hood. Ignore the dirtiness of it, I should wipe that off pretty soon. Instead of one long bulb of two rows of long bulbs, it's two short bulbs side by side, which I find weird but I doubt it'll make too much of a difference.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=4489 Would two of these work? Now I just need to find out how much light that would equal to...
So I've done research and decided I probably want a new hood because my current one has a sad lowly ability of 30 watts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/36-78w-T5-HO...-/380652764692 I was thinking this? What do you guys think of this? T5ho, on sale!, 78w which would be 1.8wpg (but wpg is kind of an outdated measurement and there are many other factors involved than wpg). Are the bulbs that ocme with it okay?
Old 09-16-2013, 10:26 PM   #7 
thesadseahorse

There's also a ZooMed t5ho for 80 dollars on petcos website on sale. 2x39w, but I was wondering if zoomed would be better.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:59 PM   #8 
RowdyBetta

Friendly bump. Wish I could help, but I've just got a 10 and a desk lamp with a fluorescent 6500k bulb.
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #9 
thesadseahorse

Bump? I just need those questioneps about the lighting answered.. .^^