Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #1 
Occam

Best heater for 1.5gal - 2gal?

It's starting to get chilly at night, and I want to get my Betta a heater for his tank. But every product I look at has reviews that say, 'Works great, my betta was never happier' and 'Don't buy - cooked my fish!'

I know I'll be rolling the dice whatever I do, but does anyone have any suggestions that might help me feel a little better about buying a heater?
Occam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #2 
TiffanyP

Well, if you have the money - I would very highly recommend this heater:

http://www.amazon.com/Cobalt-Aquatic...9261305&sr=1-7

I have one in my 2 gallon tank and I couldn't be happier. Except for during water changes, the temperature doesn't waver at all. I'm very pleased with it! It's a little bit pricey, but you definitely get your moneys worth with this one.

A less expensive option is the Hydor Theo 25W adjustable one: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=11368

The thing with these heaters, that I've found, is that they aren't accurate. They work just fine - they just aren't accurate. I have one of mine set on 85F and it keeps the tank about 80F, another is at 83F and keeps the tank about 80F. So if you go with this option, I would put it in the tank without your fish for a few hours until you see how it's going to run. Set it at 79 to begin with and wait about an hour or two, then go check to see what the temperature is and adjust accordingly. Then wait another hour or so and go check again. Once it holds the steady temp you want, then add your fish back in :)

I hope that helps you :)
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, heater