Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #1 
DreamerHorse

Should I ditch the filter?

I keep getting fin tearing in Twilight. I have reason to believe it's the filter, because he's the only one that is tearing his fins. He hasn't been getting fin rot or anything, I'm just annoyed that he heals a little bit, and his fins tear again.

I have the filter battled with a water bottle baffle and I have the intake surrounded by mesh. But it does nothing for my betta.

I was thinking of just using the air stones I have. With all the trouble I am having it might just be best.
Attached Images

DreamerHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #2 
rickey
Banned

sponge filter

Rick
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #3 
DreamerHorse

Problem. No place nearby sells them, and I can't order one.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:49 AM   #4 
rickey
Banned

Try wrapping the intake in open cell foam
This slows down the flow for the filter an keeps the Bettas fins from being suck in

Rick
Old 09-16-2013, 07:14 AM   #5 
DreamerHorse

Where do I get that? BTW, I might be able to order one but my mom never really keeps her promises on ordering stuff.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #6 
rickey
Banned

You can find open cell form at the craft store It's used as cushions for furniture just make sure it's open cell and not closed cell (will be slick). Read the labeling carefully to be sure it's not treated in any way

Rick
Old 09-16-2013, 07:27 AM   #7 
jaysee
Reference Team

Is there any decor that could doing it?
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #8 
DreamerHorse

Okay thanks Rick. I'll take a peak next time I go to Walmart.

No, just the Red Flame Sword plant that is growing. I also have a air bubble stone but the base is buried.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #9 
Blue Fish

You can also use a car wash sponge, and cut it to size/shape/whatever you need. You can baffle both the intake and the outflow with the sponging, just rubberband it around the intake and take a wide, flatter section and stuff it into the outflow as well, secured with a rubberband. This will cut the outflow as well, and, at least for me, worked better than the water bottle.

Just make sure the sponge is NOT treated with anything like bacterial-resistant. This will, obviously, kill your cycle. :) Almost all kitchen sponges are treated with this stuff, but I've had good luck with car wash sponges not being a problem. I make all my own sponge filters out of them. (I had ten old bubblers sitting around so I made good use of them.) ;)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:24 AM   #10 
LuluAngelie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fish View Post
You can also use a car wash sponge, and cut it to size/shape/whatever you need. You can baffle both the intake and the outflow with the sponging, just rubberband it around the intake and take a wide, flatter section and stuff it into the outflow as well, secured with a rubberband. This will cut the outflow as well, and, at least for me, worked better than the water bottle.

Just make sure the sponge is NOT treated with anything like bacterial-resistant. This will, obviously, kill your cycle. :) Almost all kitchen sponges are treated with this stuff, but I've had good luck with car wash sponges not being a problem. I make all my own sponge filters out of them. (I had ten old bubblers sitting around so I made good use of them.) ;)
What do you mean by bubblers? I was reading up on this since Nemo seems to have quite the trouble with the filter pushing him about. I was going to put a car wash sponge into the outflow and probably around the intake as well though he's never around that thing. What else would I need?
LuluAngelie is offline   Reply With Quote