Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #1 
IsisWings

Help please ): Looks like I've got a sick betta...

I've been searching all over the internet for anything that could help so I'm coming to you guys to see if anyone has input.

My betta fish, Poseidon, has been under my care for about four months now. He is in a 5 gallon tank heavily planted with silk plants and has a few decorations here in there. Has a filter and has a heater that keeps it at about 78 degrees. All water prams are coming back good, only thing that has spiked is his ammonia which is just a little over 0 because it's about time for me to change his water.

Today I turned on his light and he was floating at the top of the tank and I literally thought he was dead for about an hour. Luckily, I looked and saw him take reach for air one time and discovered he was not. Regardless, he is acting VERY strange. He's hugging the top of the tank and very rarely goes down to the bottom. He's laying in plants with his head down and his bottom up and sometimes is just laying flat on a leaf near the surface. He's not playing with me like normal and didn't even come at the beckon of a piece of food. He literally looks like he's dead and only gives away that he is not with the occasional breath of air and movement to a different leaf. This is incredibly unlike him.

I see no discoloration, he doesn't appear to be too bloated, but I'm really unsure of that. I will have pictures uploaded soon, my phone is just not connecting and letting me pull them from it.
IsisWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #2 
IsisWings

Also, I feed him about 4-5 pellets once a night. In fact, the night before last I gave him his fasting day. So it seems very odd to me if this can be a swim bladder problem.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #3 
Laki

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

Hi, could you fill this out as best you can please? I know you answered some of it already. But how old is he? What's his health background? What was changed recently? etc. . .
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #4 
IsisWings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Housing
What size is your tank?
Is your tank heated?

Food

Maintenance

Water Parameters:

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment

Hi, could you fill this out as best you can please? I know you answered some of it already. But how old is he? What's his health background? What was changed recently? etc. . .
I'd be happy to answer in that format, just give me a minute to fill it out.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #5 
IsisWings

Housing
What size is your tank?
5 gallon.
78-79 degrees.
Sure does.
It does not have either of the above. It has a heater and a filter. No live plants.
Is your tank heated?
Yes, the heater consistently keeps it at 78-79 degrees.
None. He is solo.

Food

He eats 4-5 pellets a night of Tetrabetta floating mini pellets. He also is occasionally(rarely, more so. probably about once a week if that much) given in exchange of those either Mysis, Daphnia, or blood worms.
4-5 pellets a night. One fasting day a week.

Maintenance
I change his water once a week.
About 50-75. Just depends on what the numbers look like when I test.
The only treatment I put in my water is BettaBowl Plus. I really don't know if it is any good or not but for now it's what I use since I happened to go on a day Petco was low stocked.

Water Parameters:

Ammonia: .25ppm pending water change today.
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
pH: Surprisingly pretty high. It's normally very stable but I'm having trouble reading this one.
Hardness: I don't have a test for this
Alkalinity: Also don't have a test for this

Symptoms and Treatment

Appearance has not change at all. He looks perfectly normal.
He is swimming on his said, laying down on leaves and plants with his head down tail up, literally looks like he's dead except when he comes up for air.
Just about four hours ago. He was perfectly fine last night.
I have no started treatment.
Not as far as a know.
I really have a hard time answering this one. I know I have had him for four months but I don't know how old he was when I got him from wal-mart. He looked to be fully grown then but I honestly have no idea how old he is.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

I would use a LOW dosage of Epsom salt. You can get this at supermarkets and pharmacies (but not petstores). Look for 100% magnesium sulfate. (No dyes, perfumes or additives.) Any brand is OK (Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, Publix, etc.)

1) Do a water change to get the ammonia down.

2) Put a small amount of tank water into a cup.
Stir in 2.5 teaspoons Epsom salt. Stir until the salt is completely dissolved.

3) Slowly, over the course of about 30 minutes, pour the solution into the tank.

This will provide a total dosage of 0.5 teaspoons Epsom salt per gallon.

Epsom salt has a fluid reducing and laxative effect. It should help with his buoyancy issues. It can take a day or two to work, so you may not see 'instant results.'

Read the list of ingredients on his food. Foods that contains a lot of grains/filler can cause constipation, bloating and buoyancy issues in some Bettas. Look for words like: wheat, corn, soybean, gluten, etc. If yours has a lot of these, consider switching to a high-protein pellet. On this forum, New Life Spectrum betta pellets and Omega One Betta Buffet pellets are highly recommended.

Also, freeze dried foods can cause these issues, too. So you may want to limit the amount you feed him. Or, you can look into feeding some live or frozen foods.

If the 0.5 teaspoons Epsom salt per gallon isn't effective in about a day, let us know. If 0.5 teaspoons/gal doesn't work, you can repeat the steps listed above. This will double the dosage to 1 teaspoon per gallon.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #7 
IsisWings

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
I would use a LOW dosage of Epsom salt. You can get this at supermarkets and pharmacies (but not petstores). Look for 100% magnesium sulfate. (No dyes, perfumes or additives.) Any brand is OK (Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, Publix, etc.)

1) Do a water change to get the ammonia down.

2) Put a small amount of tank water into a cup.
Stir in 2.5 teaspoons Epsom salt. Stir until the salt is completely dissolved.

3) Slowly, over the course of about 30 minutes, pour the solution into the tank.

This will provide a total dosage of 0.5 teaspoons Epsom salt per gallon.

Epsom salt has a fluid reducing and laxative effect. It should help with his buoyancy issues. It can take a day or two to work, so you may not see 'instant results.'

Read the list of ingredients on his food. Foods that contains a lot of grains/filler can cause constipation, bloating and buoyancy issues in some Bettas. Look for words like: wheat, corn, soybean, gluten, etc. If yours has a lot of these, consider switching to a high-protein pellet. On this forum, New Life Spectrum betta pellets and Omega One Betta Buffet pellets are highly recommended.

Also, freeze dried foods can cause these issues, too. So you may want to limit the amount you feed him. Or, you can look into feeding some live or frozen foods.

If the 0.5 teaspoons Epsom salt per gallon isn't effective in about a day, let us know. If 0.5 teaspoons/gal doesn't work, you can repeat the steps listed above. This will double the dosage to 1 teaspoon per gallon.
I must have bought literally the WORST type of food. Looking at the ingredients it literally has all of those as the first couple of ingredients on the list, omg. I'll be running to the store real quick and grabbing different food then. I will also do as instructed with the salt. Thank you.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

It sounds like it could just be a constipation/bloating issue. If it is, the Epsom salt should work pretty quickly. If it doesn't, let us know as there may be something else going on. But Epsom salt is usually a good place to start for buoyancy issues.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #9 
IsisWings

Okey dokey. Went out and bought Omega One pellets and epsom salt. Aquarium water has been changed and first bit of solution has been introduced to the aquarium. Will update you guys on the situation in a day or two. Thanks so much for helping.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #10 
IsisWings

I put epsom salt in as instructed and I just got home. My betta now has huge eyes and leaves me to no other conclusion than popeye.

How am I able to treat this? What medication do I need? Please help ): I'm really upset over my betta being sick and I just couldn't bear it if my little guy died. I've put so much effort into taking care of him and now this is just a slap in the face. Here is a picture that I took ten minutes ago.
Attached Images