Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #11 
SurfinCrab

Hi did you take him out of the epsom(sp) salt?

according to the the sticky, that is the treatment.

Maybe this will bump it to the top and someone will help. Little Blue Fishes is not on right now.

Last edited by SurfinCrab; 09-16-2013 at 08:18 PM.
SurfinCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #12 
IsisWings

Thank you.

He's still swimming in 2.5 tsp of epsom salt. I'm wondering if I need to do a full water change and put epsom in again.

I have some smaller tanks lying around and I'm wondering if it would be appropriate to put him in a smaller one for now? In his five gallon he keeps hiding from me and it's making it VERY difficult to keep an eye on him. I've never put a fishy in ICU before so I don't know what the better options are :c Also he looks like he has a hard time getting air so maybe a shallower smaller tank would help for now?
IsisWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #13 
SurfinCrab

Is he trying to get to the top? I don't know what to tell you, I'm a novice at all this as far as sick bettas go. I'm not sure whether changing the water or tank will stress him out more. Little Blue Fishes usually is on late. I'd wait to do anything somebody will be by who knows.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #14 
Laki

This picture is horrifying :( I'm so sorry he is like this! I would euthanize if he doesn't seem to have kick left in him. He looks completely blind, not that fish cannot live with blindness. The picture put me into a bit of shock and I'm not quite sure how to handle it.

You can leave him in epsom salt indefinitely, no need to dip. The salt dips cause more stress/damage I think.

How is he moving, interacting, eating? Does he seem to be in tremendous discomfort?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #15 
IsisWings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
This picture is horrifying :( I'm so sorry he is like this! I would euthanize if he doesn't seem to have kick left in him. He looks completely blind, not that fish cannot live with blindness. The picture put me into a bit of shock and I'm not quite sure how to handle it.

You can leave him in epsom salt indefinitely, no need to dip. The salt dips cause more stress/damage I think.

How is he moving, interacting, eating? Does he seem to be in tremendous discomfort?
Yeah I'm a bit of a nervous wreck about it. I was hopeful until I saw this ):
He hardly moves at all. Every now and then to make sure that he's alive I'll move the tank and he'll spaz a bit. I haven't feed him last night and wasn't planning to tonight because our original diagnosis is that he is constipated. He doesn't respond to almost anything, really.

Also as much as I hate the idea, I'm not sure how to go about euthanizing...
Old 09-17-2013, 07:21 PM   #16 
Laki

It's a tough but rational decision. It relieves the suffering and my process is well known and proven to relieve the grieving process for how peaceful it is.

All you need is clove oil from the drugstore. You would put about a tablespoon of the clove oil in a small container (a container which is wither disposable or that you'll ONLY use for clove oil euthanization because it will penetrate the cup) and add about a cup of water from his tank. When you're ready slip him into the clove oil mixture. Within seconds he will be incapacitated and within minutes he will be in a deep sleep. 10 minutes is the minimum amount of time to keep him in it and for safe measures and because it's comforting I gently put him in a baggie of crushed ice water and put him in the freezer. Some reccomend the oil OR freeze method but I found it soothing to know that the oil is completely peaceful and painless while the ice guarantees the passing-on.

I didn't want to type it all out like that but it's the best way for them to go that doesn't involve decapitation.

How is he today?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #17 
LittleBlueFishlets

Wait.... don't euthanize yet.... First, I would try using antibiotics. If it's a bacterial infection and you treat quickly, he may be OK.

1) Antibiotic choices:

Kanaplex (kanamycin) would be ideal. It's a broad spectrum antibiotic, meaning it treats lots of different things. Most petstores don't carry it though, so call around before you head out. You can also order it online, but that would take awhile....

If you can't get Kanaplex, then:

API Triple Sulfa or Maracyn Plus - these contain sulfa drugs, which are also broad spectrum. Do not use these if you are allergic to sulfa drugs! If you get the Maracyn it must be "PLUS," not one of the others.

If you can get that, you can try:

Mardel Maracyn (erithromycin) combined with one of these: (API Furan 2, or Bifuran, or Jungle Fungus Clear.)

If you can't get any of those, let us know. There are some other choices/combos as well....

* Remove the media from the filter before using any antibiotics. Store it in a bucket of tank water. (Antibiotics will kill off the beneficial bacteria.)

2) Water Temp

If you have an adjustable heater, lower the temperature to 76F. (Don't add cool water, just let the water slowly cool on its own.)

Bacteria multiply faster at warmer temps. Cooling it down a little will help control the growth.

Also, increase your water changes. This will physically remove bacteria and toxins from the water. (Although, you may not be able to do this frequently, depending on the antibiotic(s) that you use.)

3) Tanks and water levels

Yes, if you find it easier to treat him in a small tank, go ahead and move him.

You can lower the water level to make it easier for him to reach the surface.

Put some plastic food wrap (Saran/Glad wrap) over the top of the tank. This will increase the humidity level, which will make it easier for him to breathe and has a calming effect. Be sure to leave several inches of air so he can breathe.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #18 
IsisWings

Okay, thank you guys so much for helping me out. I'm a little more hopeful because he's still alive today. I'm going to switch him to a smaller tank (pretty small...like about a gallon or less.) just for the sake of him having such a rough time swimming. Is it still okay even if I don't have a heater for that tank? The area he'll be in is kept pretty warm so he won't be absolutely freezing, I just won't be able to keep it at the solid 76.

I, surprisingly, could not find ANY of those at Petco. I bought the only option that was there, it's API Melafix. It says it treats bacterial infections and has pop eye as one of the options. If you guys say this is a relatively decent one to use, I will use it for the time being, meanwhile I'll order Kanaplex and get it shipped to me if I can't find it anywhere within an hour away from me.

Also, putting him in the new tank, should I dose him again with epsom salt? Obviously just the .5tsp since it's a gallon or less?

Thanks so much for the help guys. I really want to get him better.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:14 AM   #19 
IsisWings

Okay. I'm posting a picture of day one of treatment. I put 1/2 tsp of API Melafix to his tank. Unfortunately, apparently I got rid of my small tanks and don't remember, so tomorrow I will be making a trip to Wal-Mart and will pick up some cheap tank to keep him in to aid in his healing process + me keeping an eye on him.

The treatment says to use it for seven days. I'm going to order kanaplex if I can find it online, if not I will go to your other alternatives. My API Melafix is my current treatment since I couldn't find any, and I suppose it's better than nothing.

Here's to hoping my little guy gets better ):

Day 1
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2013, 01:22 AM   #20 
SurfinCrab

Drs. Foster and Smith have Kanaplex available on line. 5.99 plus shipping. Just search drs foster and smith. You can enter Kanaplex in the search on their page. And it goes to it. I just ordered it today.