Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #21 
Laki

Does he seem to react much to light/food/currents? Is he able to get to the surface and breathe on his own?

I did not mean to type all the euthanasia stuff as an end-all be-all. I simply put it there in case you need the info at a time nobody is online. If you can treat him with kanaplex then by all means.

However, I would stop the melafix. Tea tree oil is not a friend to anabantids like bettas and gouramis because it coats the labrynth organ they use to breathe air at the surface.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #22 
IsisWings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Does he seem to react much to light/food/currents? Is he able to get to the surface and breathe on his own?

I did not mean to type all the euthanasia stuff as an end-all be-all. I simply put it there in case you need the info at a time nobody is online. If you can treat him with kanaplex then by all means.

However, I would stop the melafix. Tea tree oil is not a friend to anabantids like bettas and gouramis because it coats the labrynth organ they use to breathe air at the surface.
No, I understand. I appreciate it. I've ordered the Kanaplex (thank you SurfinCrab for the store reference) and I'm hoping my little guy can hold on until it gets here.

And no, I haven't seen him react to light, food, or currents at all. He just stays there unless I wiggle his tank and then he flips out. I have yet to see him actually go up to the surface, honestly. I saw it once the day before yesterday, but since I have not seen it.
IsisWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #23 
Laki

Hmm.. I don't want to be a bummer but he doesn't seem to be doing good. I am a believer in quality of life, not quantity.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #24 
IsisWings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Hmm.. I don't want to be a bummer but he doesn't seem to be doing good. I am a believer in quality of life, not quantity.
I understand. I want to see how these next few days go, when the kanaplex comes in I will try that. But I really can't just let him go yet ): I don't feel like I've done anything at all to help him just yet. I've gotta try just a few more days...
Old 09-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #25 
Laki

That's fair. I hope he comes around. Small turkey baster sized water changes might help rather than full changes, You don't want to be shaking the tank or forcing him to move.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #26 
IsisWings

Just a bit of an update:
I took my buddy out of his five gallon and into a pretty long 1/2 gallon. I seran wrapped the top as instructed and bought pre-made bottled betta water to put him into.

It seems like he is finding it easier to swim up right. For the most part he is laying on his side at the bottom of the tank, but he swims around occasionally. One eye looks like it MAY be going down but the other one is pretty bad. I think he's just nervous because he probably can't see too well.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:06 AM   #27 
LittleBlueFishlets

IsisWings - I think your instincts are good.

Is he still in the Epsom salt? I would continue using it as it may relieve some of the swelling in the eye.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #28 
IsisWings

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
IsisWings - I think your instincts are good.

Is he still in the Epsom salt? I would continue using it as it may relieve some of the swelling in the eye.
Thank you for consistently giving me so much help. I added epsom salt just now, as before I wasn't sure if it was still appropriate to mix with any actual medicine.

He's looking a tad bit better today. Eyes don't look as ready to pop out of his head as they did yesterday, but still pretty bad. He's still laying on his side at the bottom of the tank but has been reacting whenever I put the salt in and occasionally will get up and look at me (I've moved him right next to my computer so I can always see him). This is going to be the fourth day he has not eaten, I put a piece of food in there yesterday and will try again today (I reiterate, I DID buy the Omega betta pellets and threw out the old). I've been CLOSELY examining his scales to make sure they're not starting to pop up. So far, so good. He just looks a little rough.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #29 
LittleBlueFishlets

Yes, you can use Epsom salt while using medications. (Hang in there, little guy!)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #30 
IsisWings

Just wanted to thank everyone for the help but unfortunately Poseidon passed today while I was out buying him some stuff.

): I wasn't there for him in his last moments, but I just came home and he's gone.