Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2009, 09:32 AM   #1 
Eolith

Is this plausible??

...or am I just insane?

I've decided that I would really really like to have a betta friend at college with me. I've already checked into the rules and things -- tropical fish are permitted in dorm rooms. I'm quite confident that I can take good care of this betta, but there's only one major setback. I'll have to bring my betta buddy home during breaks and bring him back when school resumes.

After thinking about it, I came up with a plan of attack, but I want y'all to tell me whether I'm being crazy or not. I thought that I might be able to skim off about 2 gallons of the 5 gallon tank I'm thinking of getting, unplug and neatly wrap the aquarium, put it back in the box it came in with betta and all still inside, and transport him that way. The drive is approximately two hours, so he'd spend a maximum of 3 hours without filtration and probably with a slowly cooling water temp. Once we got home, I'd be sure not to waste time plugging him back up and replacing the 2 gallons.

So... does that sound like it would be at all possible to you?
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:48 AM   #2 
Vikki81207

Hmmm it might work as long as your not like swinging him around and stuff. I would like put the box in the front seat with a seat belt. LOL! But it should work. Sounds good to me. & welcome to the forum!
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:02 AM   #3 
neenjar

That would work just fine. I usually remove them from a tank and bag them for transport, but that method would work too so long as you can safely pack a tank with water in it.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:40 AM   #4 
Eolith

Wonderful. I get to have my very own betta college roommate. Hopefully my human one doesn't mind... though I don't see how it could be a problem.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:43 AM   #5 
Blue Eternity

I'm bringing my betta to college with me, which is also about 2 hours away. They'll be coming home on breaks and going back with me too. :]

I wouldn't leave him in the tank, it seems like a lot of water to be sloshing around. I'd put him in a baggie, and put the baggie in a container so it is secure. Then have someone in the car (if you're driving, then the person next to you) to hold the betta safely and keep the water from sloshing around too much. and keep him out of sunlight... he should be alright for a few hours. Thats what my sister did with hers, and he's still happy and healthy!
Blue Eternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

You could also put him in a gladware container and put that in a little cooler to keep him warm. Pack stuff around the container in the cooler to keep him from sliding around and sloshing water.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:52 AM   #7 
Eolith

Good ideas on keeping him warm & sloshless. ^_^ I almost wish I could put him in a thermos or something.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:55 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

lol I never heard of putting one in a thermos! If its big enough, it might work.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:15 AM   #9 
neenjar

thermos would be hard to get him out of. gladware is a great idea, wrap that in a towel, then put that inside a box so it stays dark and and put that on the floor.

I have moved large tanks many times. I have always used a cooler line the cooler with a black trash bag, put another black trash bag inside the liner bag and fill the inside bag with tank water. Move the fish into the water and seal the bag up with a large oxygen reserve at the top. Then close the cooler. The darker it is the less stressful it will be.

I helped a friend with a 12 hour move. He brought me along just for his fish and they were all alive when they got to the new home and all alive months after the move.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #10 
puppyrjjkm

My sister had to do the same thing although it was a 5 hour drive. She just put her betta in the cup she bought him in with the lid, and placed him in the cup holder. The cup didn't move around or slosh, so you could always try that!
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote