Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #1 
fawx

medication question.

I'm adding Melaflix to my heated and filtered ten gallon. I also want to add stress coat. Is it safe to use these both at the same time? Or at all?
fawx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:52 AM   #2 
Squishee

I think it's safe to use both since I did and my betta is just fine :)
You might want to use less than the recommended dosage of the melafix though, since there has been some issues with some bettas dying.
Squishee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

Stress coat is a water conditioner.
Melafix is a mild antimicrobial that can be toxic in high concentrations.

Technically, yes, you can use both simultaneously..... But my real question is: Why are you using the Melafix? What are you trying to treat?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #4 
fawx

Minor fin rot, i was told it was the best option by pet store people (and also read online)
Old 09-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

For mild fin rot, I would start by just using lots of clean, warm water. Do frequent water changes to keep the toxins, ammonia and bacterial levels low.

If the rot gets worse despite this, that would be the time to add something else. But most cases will heal with just lots of clean, warm water. Plus, this is less stressful on their bodies than using medications or additives.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #6 
fawx

This is also a stupid question, but my male with it is in a ten gallon divided with plasticish material. Is my other male at risk?
Old 09-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #7 
LittleBlueFishlets

It's not a stupid question....

There are many causes of fin rot. But if it's an active infection, then it's likely caused by bacteria in the water.

Since your guys are in a divided tank, the same bacteria will be on both sides of the divider.

BUT in most cases, it needs a way to enter the fish. Entrance can occur through cuts or abrasions. For example, if the fins are torn, they can develop an infection.

The best way to control this is through increased water changes. Frequent water changes will remove toxins and bacteria from the tank. This will lessen the chances of a fish developing an infection from bacteria in the water.

Another good way to help prevent infections is by providing good nutrition. Quality food will keep the fish healthy. This will give them strong immune systems, which can fight off infection better. Look for quality high-protein ingredients in their food. This will give them the nutrients they need.