Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #1 
loveDelphine21

King Bettas and first fight

Well, today was an interesting day. I went out with my best friend to get her an aquarium setup, and I ended up coming home with 2 King bettas from Petco. They were in pretty bad shape, and I think both have Velvet.

So I bring them home, and I get them set up, one in a divided 16 gallon (I stupidly didn't think to quarantine them) and the other in a 10 gallon. I named them Sherlock and John, after the popular BBC series "Sherlock". So after I get them both acclimated and in, I sit down to do my homework.

I happened to glance over, and what do you know, my other betta, Pippin, has somehow made it in to Sherlocks section. You can imagine the heart attack that followed. Luckily, I caught them before anything had happened, but it was still a horrific experience. I now have John and Sherlock together in a divided 10 gallon, and I'm going to hopefully cure their Velvet and get them in tip top shape. I love Kings, I've decided. They have very interesting faces, haha.

Sigh. I now have 6 bettas. Our family just keeps growing. Also, Petco is dump. It was horrible, which was why I ended up with 2 bettas instead of none. Sherlock and John were the only Kings, and they just broke my heart. They all did, but its a hard lesson to learn that you can't save them all. All you can do is educate people and love your own.

But yeah, that was my day.
loveDelphine21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #2 
LizbethDawn

I want a king but that would mean putting one of my boys in the 1.5. I just need another 3 gallon kritter keeper lol
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #3 
loveDelphine21

They are seriously cute. I love all bettas, but there's just something about how big these guys are. I think mine are both veiltail plakats, if that's even a real thing, lol. But yeah, they're pretty cool.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:15 AM   #4 
karenluvsbettas623

Make sure to treat pippin for velvet as well, even if symptoms aren't yet apparent. Velvet is very contagious and it doesn't show symptoms right away.
karenluvsbettas623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #5 
ashleylyn

My king is adorable, aren't they great? I just got my boy the other day and it's like he knows I rescued him. So docile and has relaxed and settled in nicely. He even nibbled at my finger today!

Sorry to hear about the fight though. At least everyone is okay!
ashleylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #6 
loveDelphine21

Yep, everyone's getting treated for Velvet now. Sigh. I haven't had anyone sick in a while, I forgot how much it sucks, the poor little guys :(

Haha, yes, I love kings! Mine can see each other through the barrier and spend the majority of their time flaring at each other. I figured its okay for right now, seeing as up till Sunday, they had been in those tiny cups so I think they could use some exercise.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #7 
ashleylyn

Haha, I hear ya. I haven't seen my king flare once.. kinda tempted to show him my other male just to see if he has it in him. He is by far the friendliest fish I've ever met! Not shy like I've heard kings can be, but hasn't shown aggression either. :)

Keep us updated!
ashleylyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fight, king, petco