Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2009, 12:14 PM   #11 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5green View Post
my walmart has no live fish alll of them are dead exept two wich just lay at the bottom and they never even go near the tanks since they are at the back of the store
That's not suprise. Walmart's fish department sucks.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:30 PM   #12 
5green

ok so when i visited walmart and when i went to the betta place there were like 3 rows of bettas and some were DEAD and so i complained to the maneger and the next day i went to return somthing there where like 3 bettas left
5green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:36 PM   #13 
doggyhog

Way to go with the letter. The petco near me has a great selection of bettas, but they SUCK at taking care of them. They said, feed sparingly 2-3 times a week.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #14 
Ajsim

Of coarse I don't know how they keep fish in Petco's and Wallmart's (I live in Holland ) and looking at the reactions of everyone on this forum, it usually is pretty bad .

But let me just say in the defense of pet shops, that sometimes it is very hard to keep all fish healty. Even when discarding the amount of work the tanks need to stay clean, to feed the fish, clean up the shop and help the customers, they sometimes receive fish that are sick from a wholesaler or importer of fish. And not everyone can spot a sick fish between healthy ones, and the sick fish spreads the desease to the rest of the fish without notice until it usually is too late.

Some shops also don't have a quarantine tank that customers cannot see, to put sick fish in. It is very possible that the employee of a pet shop cleared out the dead fish in a tank with sick fish in it, and moving on with his or her tasks of the day, only to see more dead fish in the tank a few hours later. And how many customers have seen these dead fish before he or she did without even saying? They might not come back anymore because of this! But it's impossible to sit next to the tank and keep an eye on fish that might be dying...

So don't give a pet shop a bad name if at some time some of their fish aren't healthy or even dead, it could happen to any shop even with the best of caretakers!

But of coarse, it is obviously the right thing to say when the fish are sick constantly and you can see that there is nothing being done to cure it, prevent it or to stop it from happening again!
Ajsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:26 PM   #15 
BamaBetta

AJsim, I agree that some kill offs can't be helped even with the best of care but an employee actually tried to sell a fish with popeye that was in heavy distress (at least from the way it was swimming) to a child!
BamaBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:43 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

Now THAT is just plain wrong. I think the employees should at least know something about what they are selling. That would be like me selling computers, which I know nothing about, and me telling customers how much RAM they need and all that kind of stuff. lol I at least know how to turn one on.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:05 PM   #17 
rb500

i went to my walmart today and went to the pet section because i needed cat food. anyway, of course i looked at the fish. there were at least 5 fish in every one, and they were so dirty that there was black gunk on the display glass. also, there was not an employee in sight! seems there never is. i walked all over the place, into the next 3 departments around the pet section, just to see if i could find the guy and let him know about the state of the tanks. nowhere. just nowhere. makes me sad
rb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:18 PM   #18 
TianTian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBetta View Post
We are committed to only selling healthy fish to our customers, so to hear that an associate almost sold a child a fish with popeye does concern me, as this is hard to cure and the medicine alone is expensive.
HAHAHA!!! They ADMITTED IT. That was my favorite part.

Anyway, that's awful to hear about, but it's fantastic that they responded! I had a similar experience with a Petco I was planning to frequent in town for my next Betta, but I might just stick with my LFS for now, since half of them were in poor condition since the last time I visited.

On a lighter note: HEY! My Walmart stopped stocking live fish!! Celebrate, my aquatic friends!
TianTian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:05 PM   #19 
BettaSquirt

Yay! Thats awesome! :D Now lets see if they'll stop everywhere else.... :)
BettaSquirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #20 
Sparky

aaarrrggghhh I hate pet stores!!! So many times I get into arguements with them . They try to sell me what i know isnt compatible w my tank and when i say something to them about their mistake they tell me Im wrong. Excuse me but I have been an avid Fish keeper for over 20 years and this little teenage brat is going to tell me i can go ahead and put a cichlid in with my tetras???? I DONT THINK SO!!! Sorry.......had to vent there.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote