Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2009, 10:47 PM   #1 
affectedhalf

3 Gallon Betta Space

Hello everyone! I just recently bought a beautiful Crowntail betta (silver bodied with red fins...some silver streaks on fins). What color would you call that? I have named him Huevos. I'll post pictures soon.

Anyway, he's in a 3 gallon with filter and everything. I was wondering if it's possible to have plants in there? Something small? Some kind of grass or a few lemna? Please don't flame me about that! I'm just trying to learn before I do. Eventually I'll probably add a snail or two.

It's been years since I was into freshwater. Presently I have a 20 gallon nano reef. However, I fell in love with Huevos.
affectedhalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:53 PM   #2 
Jynx

yeah you can have plants in there- I have the plants from the 'betta bulbs' they're really easy to grow- there's pics in the pics section under 'Lulu in her 3 gallon tank'
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:43 AM   #3 
dr2b

Dwarf hairgrass is a very hardy grass that takes low to moderate light I think that would probably work in there also. I think depending on your wattage you may even be able to get crypt in there...because if I remember correctly it is a hardy plant too. Just make sure (and I'm sure you know) you have a daylight spectrum light. Also just so you know - snails actually have water requirements that can make bettas prone to fin rot. Not saying it will happen, I had a snail and my betta did fine - but just a little tip for you.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:27 AM   #4 
MrVampire181

You call the color copper or dragon. Dragons have kind of a white to the silver but either way a great combonation.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:05 PM   #5 
affectedhalf

Picture of Heuvos (Eggs)

Here is his studly self (shows his color off nicely). I lucked out as he's ALWAYS posing (usually his fins are flared rather than hanging).

Old 08-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Huevos is very pretty!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #7 
affectedhalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynx View Post
yeah you can have plants in there- I have the plants from the 'betta bulbs' they're really easy to grow- there's pics in the pics section under 'Lulu in her 3 gallon tank'

Thanks! I'll grab one the next time I'm at the store. They are low light right? I don't have the strongest light on there right now.

I know he loves laying in the "fake" plants I have at the bottom, so I'd like for a larger real plant.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:07 PM   #8 
5green

wow realy pretty
5green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:11 PM   #9 
affectedhalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2b View Post
Not saying it will happen, I had a snail and my betta did fine - but just a little tip for you.
Prone to finrot? I didn't know that. How does that happen with snails? Snails carry a certain bacteria? Is there a way to dip the snails? Or a type of shrimp that can be used to clean algae instead?
Old 08-05-2009, 12:14 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Snails need a high level of calcium, kh and ph, which make bettas prone to finrot and bacterial infections.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote