Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2009, 03:42 PM   #1 
AngelicScars

Question Would it work?

I have my female CT in with 3 Otos and they have lived happily together. She will check them out and even follow them for about half a second then go about her business. I was wondering if I wanted to add any other fish do you think she'd be okay with it?
I think her biggest issue, if she even has one at all, is competition with food.

Suggestions? Opinions?
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:54 PM   #2 
Vikki81207

Well I would have a backup home for them, just in case. But it sounds like she would be okay with them. Depends on how you think she would react. There may be competition with food, you might have to separate your female.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:49 PM   #3 
AngelicScars

Yep, that's what's keeping me hesitant about it. I guess I should just keep them as they are. It works and I don't want to move her from her tank. Thanks for the advice!
Old 07-26-2009, 09:15 AM   #4 
doggyhog

Maybe you could ask one of your friends if they would be willing to take them if it didn't work out? I say, Go for it!!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #5 
Jazattackk

I used to have five tetras, and an algea eater in a 30 gallon, and then I got Nibbler and put him in the tank. The tetras started nipping at Nibbler, so I had to give them away to my friend who also has a tank. My betta does well with algea eaters, but not other fish, so I dont know about yours.
Jazattackk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:34 PM   #6 
PenninInk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazattackk View Post
I used to have five tetras, and an algea eater in a 30 gallon, and then I got Nibbler and put him in the tank. The tetras started nipping at Nibbler, so I had to give them away to my friend who also has a tank. My betta does well with algea eaters, but not other fish, so I dont know about yours.
Algea eaters are some of my favorite fish of all time. I have a single male betta (I got him yesterday) and I can't wait until I can upgrade him from 2 gallons to 5 and bring in an algea eater of my own! For now, though, I'm focusing on optimizing his tank. If I can keep a single fish happy and healthy, then I'll know I can start introducing other fish into my life.
PenninInk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:23 PM   #7 
RoseyD

Penninink - please research the algae eaters more before you get one - my understanding is that they require LOTS of algae and hence a larger tank than a 5 gallon would provide.

Definitely don't get any before you have algae problems, whether you like them or not. It'd be a shame to have a starving fish in your tank just because of wanting one rather than needing one...
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:59 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

You could get cories or otos. They make good tankmates for bettas.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:50 PM   #9 
AngelicScars

I have supplemented my Otos with Zucchini or Algae wafers.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:12 PM   #10 
PenninInk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseyD View Post
Penninink - please research the algae eaters more before you get one - my understanding is that they require LOTS of algae and hence a larger tank than a 5 gallon would provide.

Definitely don't get any before you have algae problems, whether you like them or not. It'd be a shame to have a starving fish in your tank just because of wanting one rather than needing one...
Thanks for the tip. I'm sure my mom would step in and hit me with the common sense stick before I did something stupid. I'm a little new to the whole aquarium thing.
PenninInk is offline   Reply With Quote