Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #11 
RoseyD

Goodness, MrV - since I just recently started my sorority - reading this from you (who has lots of betta experience) is rather daunting - PLEASE dont tell me that I'll eventually have to break up my big tank ...

So can you tell us what the details were on this tank? dimensions? how many girls? well planted? lighted or dark? ...

And how long does it take for a betta to reach maturity?
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:23 PM   #12 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseyD View Post
Goodness, MrV - since I just recently started my sorority - reading this from you (who has lots of betta experience) is rather daunting - PLEASE dont tell me that I'll eventually have to break up my big tank ...

So can you tell us what the details were on this tank? dimensions? how many girls? well planted? lighted or dark? ...

And how long does it take for a betta to reach maturity?
It was totally unexpected.
Tank size: 10 gallons
Female count: 3, 4 a few weeks ago but one died.
One live plant and several plastic ones.
Lighted.

These females are old so that dosen't help the situation much. I'm not sure what ahppened. The history of this tank has not been so great:

Females introduced in December 2008.

First female dies in February 2009 (symptoms: Laying on bottom, not eating, breathing heavily). New female purchased.

Second female dies in March (same symptoms as above). New female bought.

Third female dies in June 2009 (dropsy, luckily she had been removed from the tank before it happened).

New female bought July 2009. (count up to four). Female dies.

August 2009. Fight breaks out.

So total: I lost four from this tank. Two of the original four females are still alive.

First, I don't think you'll have a problem as long as the alpha female is in the tank. I'm not sure what happened. Hopefully it dosen't happen to you.

The reason I tore it down was because: it needed a good cleaning and two because I figured an extra spawning tank would be useful.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:38 PM   #13 
RoseyD

could there have been chemistry issues? when was the last time you tested the water? how were the ammonia, nitrites, nitrates? ... Is the live plant being fertilized? CO2 injection? addition of excel? other nutrients? Since it's summer, has there been any gross fluctuations on heat or cool on this tank? Lethargic could be caused by an AC near the tank (example) cooling off the water below the betta's happy temps...

I'm reasoning through some of the questions that arise for 'fully planted tanks' which I'm still learning every day

When I put up my 20 g tank, I live in an attic that gets REALLY HOT - but I had to make a decision whether to put an AC in the window beside that tank or not, and decided against it.

Anywho's - I'm just dropping thoughts... hopefully one could bring other questions that will lead to an answer on the tank and all the mystery deaths.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:51 PM   #14 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseyD View Post
could there have been chemistry issues? when was the last time you tested the water? how were the ammonia, nitrites, nitrates? ... Is the live plant being fertilized? CO2 injection? addition of excel? other nutrients? Since it's summer, has there been any gross fluctuations on heat or cool on this tank? Lethargic could be caused by an AC near the tank (example) cooling off the water below the betta's happy temps...

I'm reasoning through some of the questions that arise for 'fully planted tanks' which I'm still learning every day

When I put up my 20 g tank, I live in an attic that gets REALLY HOT - but I had to make a decision whether to put an AC in the window beside that tank or not, and decided against it.

Anywho's - I'm just dropping thoughts... hopefully one could bring other questions that will lead to an answer on the tank and all the mystery deaths.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: 0
Nitrates: 0
Plant was fertilized.
Temp stayed at 78 at all times.
No AC near that room. It stays warm at all times.
The first two deaths were an unknown disease. The third was a nasty bacterial infection and dropsy. The fourth happened the day I left for a week (didn't look in the tank, dad said he only saw three, then my friend saw her dead).
Old 08-05-2009, 07:28 PM   #15 
Vikki81207

Wow, that sucks.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:48 PM   #16 
ifish

so sorry abut that mr.v so good more spaning i might wanna buy a betta from you in the future
ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:55 PM   #17 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifish View Post
so sorry abut that mr.v so good more spaning i might wanna buy a betta from you in the future
Thanks.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:24 AM   #18 
RoseyD

You definitely know your stuff, Mr. V.

I hate to think that there's always going to be unfathomable sicknesses that hurt our fish.

The most we can do is just keep reading, and learning all we can, so that we're prepared for when these sicknesses arrise, and of course, know where to come to ask questions.

If I can ever get my 5 gallon tank cycled - I may also be requesting one of your baby bettas to put in it. :) Definitely you'll have to keep posting pics to show us how they're doing as they grow from fry upwards... It must be really exciting seeing it firsthand!
Old 08-06-2009, 06:33 PM   #19 
rb500

sorry about your girls, and congrats on the extra spawning tank! Will need pics of the babies!
rb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:30 AM   #20 
Santiago

Yeah dont worry Mr. V this happenned to me before I had 3 females in a community tank and one day one of my females just started attacking the other two so I took her out and now I have her in a separate tank. And for breeding your bettas I hope you succeed ;].
If you have any questions qhen breeding your bettas you can feel free to ask me anything I have been breeding my bettas for almost 3 years and I have been successful so good luck Mr. V ;]
Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote