Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #1 
Weaver

Double-Taile Male w/ Possible Bloating

Maybe I'm being paranoid but I think Kasper has a bit of bloat going on in his tummy.

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Buffet Flakes and Omega One Betta Treat (Freeze-Dried Bloodworms). Both foods are soaked (flakes get less water and bloodworms get a bit more)
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 3 times a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Tap Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 00
Nitrite: 00ppm
Nitrate: .5ppm
pH: 6.5
Hardness: Should be soft as it's mountain-water.
Alkalinity: (No idea)

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His stomach has rounded out a bit.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No change in behavior, still the same peppy little guy.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Friday (the 13th) of 2013
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I let him fast on Saturday, then fed him a tiny amount of soaked flakes on Sunday. Not sure if I should fast him again or not.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I know of. He was the healthiest looking fish I could find.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Maybe... 4 months? I'm not sure.

Other info: Kasper is a Double-Tail. So yes, I've already read about Double-Tails being susceptible to bloat, dropsy, and SBD.

Pictures:

You can see his body shape here, is it normal for his head and body to be that wide while his back end is skinny?

Blurry but you can see his tummy hanging down a little bit here.

I hope I'm just being paranoid. I really hope so.
Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #2 
TiffanyP

He may just need to take a poo - do you know the last time he pooped?
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #3 
Weaver

Uh, I think it was Thursday. I went to my Petsmart and Petco but they did not have anything with Daphina as an ingredient in stock. I was thinking to try that to make his little bowels move.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #4 
Weaver

Do you think I should try finding some Daphnia for him? If my local place has em: I think I might try the TopFin Freeze Dried Medley Fish Treat that is a mix of freeze dried daphnia, freeze dried mysis shrimp, freeze dried bloodworm. If they don't have the Hikari-Gold Daphnia packets only. Or maybe the ZooMed Dial-a-Treat with mysis shrimp, Daphnia, and bloodworms. Our Petco does not carry anything with Daphnia in it sadly...
Old 09-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #5 
TiffanyP

Freeze-dried isn't a good option - I've read it can cause constipation. If that's all you have tho, get some of that and soak it/rehydrate it before you give it to him. Frozen is best though. In any case, see if fasting him for a couple of days will do anything for him. You don't want to be feeding him if he's bloated like that.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #6 
Weaver

Alright. I guess I'll leave him to fast for the rest of today (hopefully he'll poop and be down to normal in the morning) and if not, I'll race down to the Petsmart for some Hikari if I can. Thank you Tiffany! Oh, I should also note that the constipation or bloat does not appear to be fluid-retaining but should I try and get a bit of Kanaplex just in case?
Old 09-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #7 
TiffanyP

It can be a stressful waiting game, waiting for a fish to poop lol My oldest baby went from being overly regular to pooping maybe once or twice a week. I've been switching around his diet a little bit to see what I can do to help that out.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to get some pellets for him - I've never tried Hikari myself, but if you can get the Omega One brand pellets, he'd probably like those since he's been eating the flakes. Pellets are easier to measure their intake with so you know you aren't under/over feeding :) My guys, depending on their size, get between 4 and 8 Omega One pellets a day. The 'teenager' gets 2 pellets am and pm, the two medium still growing not quiet yet fully adult guys get 3 pellets am and pm, and the 2 bigger guys get 4 am and pm. They also all fast one day a week, though the one with the pooping issues fasts 2 days a week :) You'll know best how much your guy can handle :)

If he's acting normal and he's not pineconing or looking sickly, my guess is that he's just constipated. Give him a day or two to try and poop, if you can get your hands on some daphnia, it would be okay to feed him that, as that should help as well :)

If anything changes, hop back on here and let me know :)
Old 09-16-2013, 10:40 PM   #8 
Weaver

Thank you TiffanyP. I'm going to see if I can return the Omega One flakes (they should be alright if I give a reason right?) and pick up the pellets instead. I worry more about getting the Daphina simply because well, I don't need a bunch of it on hand all the time.

Yeah. He's feeling fine apparently. Just cruising the top and bottom looking for food, no pineconeing and well, he's just being an active little bugger.

It's going to take a lot of willpower for me to refrain from feeding him a soaked bite of pellet or bloodworm tomorrow if I have to fast him for a second day. D:

It's hard, I can see inside of him and see the blockage but, yeah. Poor boy. I'll give him time. Thank you, thank you TiffanyP. And thank you for not-recommending the green-pea-method too, my Petco seemed to think that was the only option.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #9 
TiffanyP

No problem :) It is hard to not feed them for more than a day, but I keep telling myself with my little guy that he always feels better after he poops and to get him to poop I have to fast him for a day or more. With the frozen daphnia I completely understand about not needing a ton of it on hand - I have a whole container of it in the freezer and I don't know how it'll ever get all eaten. But it was only about $5 for the package so I'm not out a lot of money if I have to throw some away by the expiration date :)
Old 09-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #10 
Weaver

Update: No poops today. That I can see although he does look a little less rounded. I'm going to see if I can buy a little bit of Daphnia for him. Just a little bit from our local pet shop (it's much closer than Petsmart too!) today. Kasper just keeps looking at me like I should be feeding him now. But, if I can't get the Daphnia today, it's a second day of fasting for him.

Tags
bloated betta male, double-tail, paranoid, weaver