Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #1 
BamaBetta

Montgomery PETCO= HORRIBLE!!!

If this is the wrong place to post this please delete, lock or move it. Just thought I'd share some email traffic I had with Petco after a recent visit.

My message:

I visited your Montgomery, Alabama store a couple of weeks ago to look at your tropical fish. I currently have 3 tanks (20 gallon and 2 10 gallon) and am looking at purchasing and stocking a 55 gallon tank. The young man that helped us was knowledgable and friendly, the fish were plentiful and seemed healthy. This experience prompted my wife and I to make a 45 mile round trip to visit this store again. I do not know what happened in the 2 week since my visit but the condition of the fish in YOUR store was disgusting. I saw at least 4 fish in different tanks with popeye disease, several tanks with at least 1 dead fish, the large tank of gourami had at least 6 dead fish in it. Saw at least 2 cases of fin rot, a case of velvet and ich. I believe I saw one of your sales people actually about to sell a tetra with popeye to someone's child. HOW IS THIS ACCEPTABLE IN A PET STORE??? You speak of responsible ownership, perhaps some responsible pre-sale care is in order.

I highly doubt I will visit your store or recommend your store to anyone. I sincerely hope that helpful young man finds employment with a better pet store.

I will be posting a summary of my store visit on the various tropical fish forums I frequent.

Sincerely,
Wilfred

Their reply:

Dear Wilfred,

Thank you for contacting PETCO regarding your concern with the aquatics habitats at your local Montgomery, AL PETCO store. We greatly appreciate your feedback and are sorry that your recent trip into this store was so disappointing.

It is obvious that you are a fish enthusiast. I'm sure you know how easily a fish can become sick if they are under any type of stress. Sometimes, stress is unavoidable, and there have been cases in the past where our stores have been shipped fish that had a rough time during transportation and have become sick. As of right now, I have not yet been able to pinpoint a specific answer as to why there were so many sick fish at the time you visited the store, but will continue to research this with the appropriate parties. Please rest assured that I am sending a copy of your feedback not only to the General Manager of the store, but also the District Manager for your region along with the Regional Companion Animal Coordinator for your area. The RCAC works hard to ensure all animals (fish included) in our stores are being cared for properly and have all essentials they need to survive happily and in good health. If a store needs additional training in a specific area, we will work with that store to ensure that this happens as quickly as possible. We absolutely agree with you that this is not acceptable, and not the type of aquatic care we strive for.
We are committed to only selling healthy fish to our customers, so to hear that an associate almost sold a child a fish with popeye does concern me, as this is hard to cure and the medicine alone is expensive. Our policies and procedures require that store associates monitor our fish during our hourly animal checks to make sure that none are showing signs of stress or sickness. If an entire tank is affected by something, you may even see a sign on a tank that says the fish are under observation. If only specific fish are affected, they should be removed from the tank and put in their own hospital tank. If we see any signs of stress or sickness, we do not sell them until the fish are healthy.

Please know that we care about our customers and what they think of us. By letting us know when we fall short of your expectations, we have the opportunity to address your concerns and to be better prepared to meet your expectations in the future. If we can be of any further assistance, please feel free to reply to this email or call PETCO Customer Relations directly at 1-888-824-PALS (7257). Thank you again for contacting PETCO.

Sincerely,

Cristin H.
Customer Relations Coordinator

At PETCO, Animals Always Come First... Our People Make it Happen!

Please join our pet loving associates and customers in a variety of discussions on our new blog, www.petcoscoop.com!

PETCO values your insights, so please tell us how we are doing on our call center survey.
BamaBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:04 AM   #2 
rb500

good for you to email them. maybe now they'll pay attention, knowing that you
re watching lol. it was nice that he responded, most companies i try to get in touch with blow it off.
rb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:08 AM   #3 
Vikki81207

I agree. I'm glad you emailed and said something.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:25 AM   #4 
Starbright

Dangg! Good job with that e-mail ;D
Same thing happened at my Petco. One day their fish were bright, healthy, and happy and a month later, they're covered in ich and dying... The worker there was awesome. I pointed out a fish in a tank of about 50 platies/mollies that had ich and she took it out right away and put the tank under observation. ^^
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:47 AM   #5 
dr2b

Glad you said something to them. I am also surprised they responded back!
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:10 AM   #6 
sunkissedinCA

i hope they really do attempt to investigate. i'm glad you emailed them!
sunkissedinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:06 AM   #7 
BettaSquirt

Usually the ones at my Petco are all healthy. Maybe a few dead ones, but usually the little fish. But Walmart is horrible! UGH!

Good job with that email ;) Lol.
BettaSquirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #8 
MrVampire181

Yeah. The email hit them where it hurts...the wallet.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #9 
Vikki81207

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Yeah. The email hit them where it hurts...the wallet.
lol yup
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #10 
5green

my walmart has no live fish alll of them are dead exept two wich just lay at the bottom and they never even go near the tanks since they are at the back of the store
5green is offline   Reply With Quote