Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2013, 04:42 AM   #1 
Blue Fish

AGGHH! SOMETHING in my plants...long and skinny eel-y looking thing?!? Please help ID

Ugh, okay, so there was this long...eel-y looking THING in the floaters I recently got from my LFS. These are pond plants (they keep the duckweed outside, but it's the same duckweed as used for aquariums), so I figured they'd have some...creatures...in them...They're still in QT.

It was about an inch, maybe an inch and a half long, narrow, slinky thing...it really did look like a tiny eel. It was horrible. I screamed like a total wussy, fished it out and killed it...but now I'm wondering if there are more in there? If there are, will they hurt my bettas?

Ugh, so, so gross! I've stuck my hands all up in those plants as well when I was moving them around (they're in a few different QT containers)...I ALWAYS wash with soap and water after touching anything fish related...but I'm still itchy just thinking about it.

Anyone know what it might have been?
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #2 
Nothingness

It could have been a larva of some kind of insect. I had one of those in my tank when I first planted it. did it look like this?

Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #3 
Blue Fish

Picture didn't show up?

It was BIG, like, two inches when it stretched...and was fairly decent width, like a cm or two? It swam by wiggling it's body, so in some part of the swim it appeared shorter than others, but the average was about 1.5 to 2 inches long, and very visible. :( Dark brown/gray color, no striations, no fins, no visible eyes or feelers/antenae. Seemed to be fairly flat, but with the flat sides vertical, not horizontal.

Based on google photos I'm leaning towards some sort of leech...but it wasn't fatter and tapering down to a tail, it was long and thin throughout.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #4 
peachii

Sounds like a leech. :(

Now I am highly thankful Stone said no and wouldn't let me get any of that fairy moss when we were there Friday. lol.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #5 
Blue Fish

Peachii, LOL! I know, it's pretty, but not with uglies in it! Ugh...I think you're right about it being a leech, I spent all my downtime at work today looking up anything I could think of, and I'm pretty sure you're right about it being a leech. Ugh! I still get icked out thinking about it. ;) From this point onwards, that stuff is being handled with a plastic fork, until I can see all up into those roots, lol! ;)